Heaven Hill Bourbon Heritage Center

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:42 am

Even more learning :idea: only three attachments per post are allowed :oops:
Attachments
Welcome WEB.jpg
Welcome WEB.jpg (218.69 KiB) Viewed 8982 times
Pot Still WEB.jpg
Pot Still WEB.jpg (246.92 KiB) Viewed 8982 times
bunghole

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:44 pm

Linn,

That Tasting Room looks HEAVENLY! :partyman: What's available to taste there; is there a charge for tasting? :?:

Thanks for posting the pix! :cheers: They look great. :)
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mark » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:14 pm

Wow, looks like a really nicely done place. Looks like you all had a blast! As I have always said, I wish KY was just a few damn hours closer... Thanks for the pics Linn, they came out great! Nice to see what it looks like from the inside. :cheers:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:25 pm

Brewer wrote:Linn,

That Tasting Room looks HEAVENLY! :partyman: What's available to taste there; is there a charge for tasting? :?:

Thanks for posting the pix! :cheers: They look great. :)

Bob,

First let me say that the center is world class in every way, and is built of the most expensive materials.

The tasting barrel bar is made of cyprus planks from old fermenters that have been cut and inlaid in a parquet like fashion with a white oak surround. Small opaque portholes are under lit and two Glencarin glasses are placed over the portholes for each person and gives the bourbon a nice glow. A small crystal water pitcher of room temprature water is also provided for each taster.

We were given 18 year old Elijah Craig Single barrel and the new 1995 vintage of Evan Williams Single Barrel. Again top shelf all the way.

There is no charge.

One of the nicest things is that the Glencarins are available for purchase in the gift shop for only $7. The small water pitchers are also available for the same low price. I bought a pitcher as I have wanted one for a long time. Although I don't need anymore glasses I went ahead and bought two. One with the Evan Williams Single Barrel logo, and the other with the Evan Williams Master Distiller's Select logo. If you wanted one with the Heaven Hill logo that was a dollar extra, or $8.

Mike was very disappointed that there were no Glencarins with the Old Fitzgerald logo. :cry:

:arrow: ima :sunny:
bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:31 pm

Mark wrote:Wow, looks like a really nicely done place. Looks like you all had a blast! As I have always said, I wish KY was just a few damn hours closer... Thanks for the pics Linn, they came out great! Nice to see what it looks like from the inside. :cheers:

Thanks Mark! I'd like to post a few more, but even after resizing they are still too big.

We all had a blast, and of course I spent way too much money that I haven't even earned yet!

bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:56 pm

Here's a couple more! :thumbup:
Attachments
DSCF0149.JPG
Men at Work! Howie; John, Linn, and Mike.
DSCF0149.JPG (177.49 KiB) Viewed 8930 times
Brendaj - Dedicated Bourbon Enthusiast..jpg
Brendaj takes her Bourbon seroiusly.
Brendaj - Dedicated Bourbon Enthusiast..jpg (217.98 KiB) Viewed 8930 times
bunghole

Unread postby angelshare » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:12 pm

Linn, thanks for posting all the great pix!

It looks like you guys had a great time as well as some great bourbon along the way...as well as some JD SB! I thought that was an interesting line-up you had (JD SB, Tribute, 4R SB and...Pappy 20? Wasn't sure which Pappy it was for sure). How did you choose the line-up?

Once again, great pix - I'm envious!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:41 am

angelshare wrote:Linn, thanks for posting all the great pix!

It looks like you guys had a great time as well as some great bourbon along the way...as well as some JD SB! I thought that was an interesting line-up you had (JD SB, Tribute, 4R SB and...Pappy 20? Wasn't sure which Pappy it was for sure). How did you choose the line-up?

Once again, great pix - I'm envious!

Thank You Dave! You and Tina could have been in those shots! And we all wish you both could have attended.

As for the line up - I just pulled out four top shelf expressions (out of Howies' cases) that were all very different, and all very impressive. Four brothers and four bottles. We are all very different just as we all are very impressive. {You may laugh out loud now} :wink:

We went through a tremendous amount of bourbon! :shock: 20 year old Pappys - green (ryed) bottles and clear (wheated) plus we compared them with the new 15 year old Pappy. I'm very impressed with the new 15 year old 'Pappy' bottling as it is very like the wheated (clear bottle) 20 year old 'Pappy'. I'm glad I bought one to take home. I reccomend it highly.

Stoopsie (Howie) is ever the boyish prankster. Once we were well into our cups he sprang a blind "Stump The Bourbon Enthusiast" tasting on us. John L. asked "Did you adjust the proof?" "Yes" said Howie, "They are both within a tenth of a proof." So we nosed, and tasted, and pondered the profound profundities contained within the Glencarins. The facts are that Howie had poured us 1994 Evan Williams Single Barrel in one Glencarin and the new 1995 in the other! We all liked them both, but nobody got it right. Fun none-the-less.

Luckily, Professor Veach had the foresight to get me up on a table and tie a plastic Liquor Barn bag over the smoke detector. Thus keeping clean air in and smoke out. We all lit up some fabulous cigars and soon you could not see across the room. Even though it was only ten or so degrees outside we had to open the windows.

Fine Friends. Fine Bourbon. And Fine Tobacco. It's All Good! I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:05 pm

It was a real pleasure to have the group in Louisville. I hope we get to do it again sometime - the sooner the better. I just wish the weather had been better and we had had an extra day or two.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Previous

Return to Bourbon Expeditions