Macallan Cask Strength Single Malt Whisky

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Macallan Cask Strength Single Malt Whisky

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:48 pm

This Scotch Whisky is 117 proof and does not have an age statement. I suspect, based on its cost ($55), that is it no more than 12 years old. It is one of the darkest Scotchs I have ever laid eyes upon. It is a beautiful, deep mahogany that in and of itself begs to be tasted. It is not chill filtered and is direct from the Sherry cask.

The aroma does not readily belie its Scotch heritage. There is more heather than peat, more dark fruit (prunes, cherries, and raisins) than smoke, and the malt pretty nearly shines, if such a term can be applied to an aroma. The alcohol plays back and forth but allows the other aromas a bit of time and glory.

The mouthfeel is quite thick and the taste is deliciously dark. I will have to come back to this whisky in a few days, because it seems barely Scotch like...........the peat is deiscernable, but mild. The alcohol never roars at you and is managed very well by the intense dark flavors.

Wonderful, rich, deep, intense, interesting............and a bargain for a Macallan Scotch.

Now, let me add a splash of water and see if her character changes.

The nose offers a hint of nuts now, and a wee bit of the boot (leather) and lightens the nose with a tinge of citrus. It may just be more complex with a mite of water added.

The water also sweetens the pot, the malt sallies out in full array, overrulling most of the other flavors. It is not so thick now and the alcohol/spice is just able to play its tune toward the back of the mouth.

This is a flavorful Scotch Whisky and one that I will enjoy a lot.

I do not think it is the equal of some other 'cask strength' Scotch Whiskies that I have had, including Ardbeg Uigeadail (108.4 prood and very robust Scotch smokey and peaty flavor) or Aberlour a'bunadh (120 proof rich and deep malt flavors with a bit more smoke and peat than the Maccallan).

But I know precious little about Scotch, so my opinion is not well-informed, just my own.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Martian » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:10 pm

Mike, thanks for the tasting notes. I am also a scotch novice. I have wanted to try some of the highly touted single malts to see what they are all about. I have thought about trying the Macallan 15 yr. before I jump into a cask strength.
Martian

Re: Macallan Cask Strength Single Malt Whisky

Unread postby RogerB » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:08 pm

I've never tried the Ardbeg or Aberlour CS whiskys either, but I will concur that the Macallan CS is a fantastic and flavorful dram. It has a very intense and complex flavor, but never unpleasant. The Glinlivet CS is another fantastic whisky too.
RogerB

Unread postby Mike » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:26 pm

Yesterday, I had a nip of the Macallan CS just after a sip of bourbon. The contrast was striking and both were so good...........just different.

First time I have had a go with this Scotch in many months and it is as good as ever. Just an excellent whiskey by my lights.
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:56 am

Mike,

I've got a bottle of this Scotch and I also think it is excellent. But then again, I like all the Macallan bottlings that I've tasted over the years. :D
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mike » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:27 pm

I bought a new bottle of this whiskey, still at $55, and had a sip. As good as ever, rich and buttery with that wonderful light smoke, peat, and heather tickling the taster. I like to have it around for when I don't want a cigar (which is always), but it is slightly like smoking a rich cigar without the attendent cigar hangover...........yep, cigars give me a hangover.
Mike

Return to Scotch Whisky