Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Jack Daniels Single Barrel

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Jack Daniels Single Barrel

Unread postby forumadmin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:31 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about BuffaloBill's review of Jack Daniels Single Barrel.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:31 am

This is a whiskey that seems to elicit different reactions. In part I think it is the fact that the single barrelings do vary quite a bit. Some have that expansive, banana Jack signature (an estery quality), others have very little of it. Some are fairly light-bodied; others are rich and sweet. Some are mapley-smokey; others hardly at all. An R-19 bottled in February of this year is a rich, dark cherryish dram with little of the said banana notes. It took me many years but I acquired the taste for Jack Daniels at its best, and I only like the single barrels (some of them). Jack Daniels is a puzzling whiskey in some ways. E.g., Gentleman Jack, to my taste has more of the overpowering Jack aromatic signature and taste than the other brands in the family, yet it is twice long filtered through maple charcoal. One would think this would strip out much of that flavor, yet somehow it seems to enhance it. (Yet we know charcoal leaching does not itself impart the flavor: George Dickel doesn't have it).

My best experiences with the Single Barrel are when I vat a few up, I have one now that is very rounded, full and with a long finish. It has some of the trademark Jack taste but drinks mostly like a fine bourbon to me. In effect it is a small batch, very small (maybe 6 bottles).

This too may find its place on the Gazebo table soon.

Gary
Vatman
gillmang
Vatman

Re: Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Jack Daniels Single Barr

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:13 pm

Gary,

And you're right, it can be a rather puzzling whiskey at times. I've had several different bottles over the past months, many delicate, all too light for my taste, but good. All the while I've been wanting to experience a richer version, something robust with more depth and complexity. I've been fond of JD for a long time and waiting for that moment we all get on writing about something special - like a revolutionary Tennessee whiskey.

Thanks for the input - enjoyed reading your comments.

BB
BuffaloBill

Re: Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Jack Daniels Single Barrel

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:55 pm

ima has always enjoyed Jack Daniel's Single Barrel, and ima finds it extremely consistant. The flavor profile is excellent in every regard. It is priced under it's major competitors at $43.95 vs. Blanton's at $51.90 vs. Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit at $51.90. Prices sourced from Virginia ABC stores. What's not to love?

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:19 pm

Here in Taxachusetts it's usually priced one-to-one with WT Kentucky Spirit, and price for price I'll take the WTKS hands-down over JDSB. Granted, I wouldn't toss JDSB aside because it's good bourbon, although a different animal. It's like comparing Four Roses to Dickel - not exactly apples for apples, more like apples to oranges.

;-)

BTW: Jack Daniels Single Barrel 750's are on for $39.99 in New Hampshire. Hard to beat that price...

BB
BuffaloBill

Re: Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Jack Daniels Single Barrel

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:11 am

Bill, look for any R-14, R-15 and R-19 bottlings put up this winter, ideally on February 1, 2008. You may be surprised at the richness.

I agree with Linn that JDSB is a high quality drink. I said earlier I only like the SB. That is not true anymore, I've acquired the taste for Jack Daniels in general and share Dave's good opinion of it. It took me many years to acquire the taste, but I have done so now.

Still, I find some bottlings superlative and would reference again the bottlings of February of this year as the best I've ever had in the SB line.

Theory about why Gentleman Jack is so banana-estery despite two prolonged filtrations: possibly they may select for the process Jack Daniels which is unusually estery, such that the second filtration does reduce it, but only by so much. The trademark Jack esters must derive I think from a powerful and unique yeast used. I have the taste now but still prefer it in modest doses, a la February bottlings mentioned.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions... I've been offline for the past three weeks while traveling New England and found a 50ml JDSB at a NH Liquor Store that knocked my socks off. The stuff was un-be-lievable! I couldn't believe what I was drinking... it wow'd me. I did tasting notes that I'll post soon. Then I bought some old Gentlemen Jack 50ml's in the old style bottle that was off-the-charts good. Both the best JDSB and GJ I've ever experienced. It turned me into a believer... it may have taken a while, but this stuff is worth every penny of what I paid --- and if I can find it in a 750ml version I'm buying it up. Fantastic whiskey... I retract anything I stated earlier regarding my rants about the JDSB. I also came across a limited hand-seleted bottling that I'm looking forward to trying. JDSB Hand-Selected for New Hampshire Bike Week with a metal necklace. Tasting notes will be coming your way soon. Fun and fabulous whiskey.

BB
BuffaloBill

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion