Five grain bourbon

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Five grain bourbon

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:29 am

I was just talking to John Lipman and he was telling me about a new bourbon that was debuted in Covington, made by Woodstone Creek winery/distillery in Cincy. It sounds interesting in that it is true pot still whiskey, not one of the hybrid stills being used by other craft distillers. He is using both yellow and white corn, rye and two types of malted two row barley. John says it was distilled at between 107 and 110 proof and placed in the barrel at that proof. It is has no age statement but is between 4 and 8 years old. It is a bit expensive being as that the product is new and in a true small batch, but I may have to try a bottle.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Five grain bourbon

Unread postby barturtle » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:25 am

And here's a link to their website

http://www.woodstonecreek.com/spirits.html
barturtle

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:23 pm

John is saving a bottle for me. I just talked with him and he did say one of the malts is slightly peated. That could be interesting - almost a cross between a bourbon and scotch. I am wondering how much of each malt he used. I suspect it was not more than 5-10% since he used 5 grains. The two corns would have to be equal to 51% and I suspect even more than that. If the corn was 35% each with 10% rye and 10% of each malt, that would make an interesting product.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby jburlowski » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:26 pm

This just showed up on the shelves at Party Source. It is Woodstone Creek and distilled in Cincinnati.

Details:
triple malt / five grain (two kinds of corn, malted barley, malted rye, and malted wheat.
single barrel, no chill filtering
made in a 238 gallon pot still
47% ABV
NAS but presumably at least 4 yrs.
$80 / 750ml (ouch!)
My bottle is labeled Barrel #2, 23 cases, 7/4/08.

It's quite good with rich cereal notes. Flavor is richer and complex than one would expect from a young whiskey. Recommended!
John B.
jburlowski

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Sounds good. John was only partially faulty in his memory about the grains, and the fact that several of the grains are malted is interesting. I have drank some of his whiskey before and it was quite good. I am looking forward to getting a bottle of this.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings