Need Help With Gift

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Need Help With Gift

Unread postby lores4m0 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:14 pm

My father in law is a bourbon drinker. I am afraid to admit I know nothing about it, but I want to get him a nice bottle for a gift. He's tried most of the names you'd find in your local liquor store, with Booker's probably being the most expensive. I've done a bunch of searches online but can't come up with any "lists" that indicate which are the best in the high end category. I live in a pretty urban area and none of the stores near me have anything less mainstream.

Here are some bottles listed on an online liquor store that I found:

Michters - 10 year
Parker Heritage - 11 years
Vintage - 17, 21 and 23 years
AH Hirsch - 1974 aged 16 years

I would greatly appreciate everyone's advice on which one of these would make a statement as a nice gift for someone who enjoys their Bourbon. And please, pass along any recommendations you might have not listed.

Thanks!
lores4m0

Re: Need Help With Gift

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:23 pm

Don't let age and price be your standards. There are several great bourbons that are not over aged and woody and come at a reasonable price. I would recommend this year's Old Forester Birthday Boubon that will come out on September 2nd. It usually runs about $40.00 to $50.00 (Depending upon the market, here in Louisville it will be in the $40.00 range) in price and will be a very interesting bourbon. Each year's expression is chosen so the drinker can experience something a little different in the taste. I believe this year highlights the fruitiness in Old Forester.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Need Help With Gift

Unread postby fricky » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:40 pm

If you want to present him with a special bourbon that is excellent and is a limited release, I suggest a bottle of Parker's Heritage Collection. It is very expensive. There are other considerably less expensive, very good bourbons out their, as others have noted. Receiving that as a gift would make my day, week, year.
Doug
fricky

Unread postby lores4m0 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:30 pm

To all:

Thank you much for the advice. My goal is to get him something unique that he probably would not find on his own, so while I can understand that more limited brands/years might be overpriced and someone could enjoy a $20 bottle of bourbon just as much as the $100 bottle, this is really about 1) finding a very solid bourban and, 2) making a statement.

I've read very good things about the Parker Heritage. Is this the best of the ones I listed? Better than Michters?

Thanks again to all for the past and any future feedback.

Sean
Fort Lauderdale, FL
lores4m0

Unread postby lores4m0 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:37 pm

I'm actually reading about this stuff now and finding it pretty interesting. But now I have a question.

This Parker Heritage is "cask strength", which I'm reading is not to everyone's liking. And it sounds like most bourbons you would buy in a liquor store are not cask strength. So, if I buy my father in law a cask strength bourbon when he's used to drinking the other "type" (what's the opposite of cask strength?), will he enjoy it or will it be too much for him?

Again, thanks guys. Reading up on this and reading all of your responses has really been pretty enlightening for me.
lores4m0

Unread postby lores4m0 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:17 pm

Good stuff Mozilo!

How about Wild Turkey American Spirit - 15 year?
lores4m0

Unread postby barturtle » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:38 pm

I wouldn't hesitate to get one of the personalized bottles of either Maker's Mark or Woodford Reserve...these have a nice little name plate on them and have upgraded packaging compared to the standard bottlings. Even if I wasn't a fan of either of these bottlings the fact that you can't just pick one up off the shelf, as you need to get the name plate done which requires time, shows some forethought. And they look nice on a shelf.
barturtle

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:26 pm

Parker's is an excellent bourbon. It is also expensive. I would say for the $100.00+ you will pay for the Parkers you could get the 08 Birthday Bourbon (a limited edition product like Parkers), a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114 or some other supreme style bourbon and a bottle of his favorite bourbon in the $15.00 to $25.00 range. Either way you went, I am sure it would make him a very happy recipient of the gift.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby lores4m0 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:22 pm

Guys,

Again, this is all good info. and I am enjoying the discussion. I have one final question.

I think I am going to buy him a bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve, either the 20 year or 23 year. I fortunately have access to both at wholesale.

There is a considerable price difference between the two and I just wanted to see if anyone had some advice on which one to go with. From my search, it looks like the 20 year (less expensive) is actually harder to find. Anyone try both and have any feedback?
lores4m0

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:59 pm

fricky wrote:If you want to present him with a special bourbon that is excellent and is a limited release, I suggest a bottle of Parker's Heritage Collection. It is very expensive. There are other considerably less expensive, very good bourbons out their, as others have noted. Receiving that as a gift would make my day, week, year.
Doug

I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Fricky. Price is not the issue, your love for your father is. I hereby second the motion for a bottle of Parker's Heritage Collection. Remember, Parker's last name is BEAM! Plus this is the very first bottling of this 'collection' so you've got a head start!

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby PaulO » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:15 pm

I'm surprised no one suggested the special Reidel or Glencairn glasses for whiskey. I also like the idea of two really different bottlings together. Maybe a rye whiskey or high rye recipe bourbon paired with a wheater. How about Old Grand Dad 114 or Wild Turkey Rye with Weller Antique 107 and a set of glasses?
PaulO

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings