If you were in charge of the Bourbon Festival...

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

If you were in charge of the Bourbon Festival...

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:40 am

If you were in charge of the Bourbon Festival, what would you do for events.

I would have it located in a central location with meeting space to be booked for speakers, but also meeting space where groups could meet for their own events.

I would have several speakers that talked about bourbon and its heritage. The Master Distiller's Seminar was a good example of that kind of forum.

I would have places where fomal tastings could take place - both those sponsored by the distilleries and those put together by enthusiasts.

I would have busses running to the distilleries, but not have events at the distilleries. That way people could tour the distilleries, but they would not have to miss other events to attend an event out of town.

I would generally take the emphasis off Bardstown tourism and place it on the Bourbon and the people who have come to the festival to learn more.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: If you were in charge of the Bourbon Festival...

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:27 pm

If I was in charge of the Bourbon Festival, I'd hire you to run it. I like all your ideas.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:55 pm

Thanks, Joe.
Surley though you have an idea for an event or program you would like to see or do. Maybe a cigar room where people can get together with their favorite stogies and bourbon?
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:27 pm

bourbonv wrote:Thanks, Joe.
Maybe a cigar room where people can get together with their favorite stogies and bourbon?

Another great idea. Veach for Director.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Well it is billed as the "Kentucky Bourbon Festival" is it not? It seems to me that some events should take place in both Louisville and Frankfort.
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:59 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I would really like to hear your ideas as well. I know there are people out there with good suggestions, so make them now. If you want to try to make the festival better, speak up. I am sure there are people reading this forum that can help make the changes needed.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:42 pm

I'd love to see a tasting class tought by professional bourbon tasters. I'd like to learn the vocabulary that they use in their everyday work-a-day world. What they look for in selecting barrels for bottling, and what are the 'stop signs' for disqualification. I'd like to learn more about flavor profiles and how they are established, and more importantly met.

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:17 pm

Great Idea Linn. Any others?
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:13 pm

bourbonv wrote:Great Idea Linn. Any others?

Oh Yeah!

The tasting class, and the Master Distiller's forum could easily be accommodated in the Elmer T. Lee Clubhouse at Buffalo Trace Distillery near Frankfort, Kentucky.

The 'Gala' would much more easily be accommodated at a large venue in Louisville, rather than in Bardstown. Many Gala goers fly into Louisville just to rent a limo down to Bardstown to attend the 'Gala', and then back to Louisville to spend the night only to fly out in the morning. Certain movers and shakers in the beverage alcohol business come to mind, but won't be named. We more normal bungholes are not among them. I know there is a lot of local politics/pride involved here that I won't address. There is also the matter of the high price of admission that insures some modicum of exclusivity that keeps out the riff-raff (i.e. - bunghole).

Since ima is a Southerner from a small southern town I find Bardstown a comfortable place to be. I like it! It's just too overcrowded at Bourbon Festival time. Some things that shouldn't change are: the barrel races, the Oscar Getz Museum auction, the music, the spirits court, or the crazyness on Spalding Lawn.

Bourbon Enthusiasts could set a different date, and set up all manner of special tours not available to the general public; tasting activties, and informative seminars. The comaraderie would abound, and expertise exchanged and expounded upon. Overcrowding and sold out motels wouldn't be a problem at all.

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby Bas » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:47 pm

To bring out a commerative bottle , each year by another distiller, especially for the festival.

Sorry for my collectors input :lol:
Bas

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:29 pm

Bas wrote:To bring out a commerative bottle , each year by another distiller, especially for the festival.

Sorry for my collectors input :lol:

I'll go along with that Bas! Make it an absolutly HUGE bottle - something like 10 liters! Let every distillery bottle one, and only one bottle with a special label and date. They could be single barrel bottings. They could be uncut and unfiltered. The Master Distillers themselves could offer them up for auction, and inscribe them on the spot to the winning bidder. Very wealthy bidders would, of course, pull out all the stops to have a first issue and complete collection bidding heavily against each other into the many hundreds of thousands of dollars. Maker's Mark would offer a very nearly empty bottle containing only the label wrapped around a nude action figure of Bill Samuels Jr. - sealed in Red Wax (of course!). Since no one would ever open, or drink any of the bottles it would offer distillers the perfect way of getting rid of that barrel that tastes just like panda dung! ima likey!

Bas = Gold Medal for intellectual input on an Olympic Scale!

HUZZAH!

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:
bunghole

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Linn is out of control again. :lol:
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:56 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:Linn is out of control again. :lol:
Joe

True. True. But why be boring (i.e.under control), when you could be.............bunghole!

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:
bunghole

Unread postby Kendall » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:54 pm

You guys have some great ideas. How about Mr.Veach start his/our own Bourbon Extravaganza?
I would very much like to hear Master Distillers speak on a wide variety of topics. I also like the idea of the distilleries
having a special bottling for the "PARTY". A tasting/tasting seminar would be great, there are so many Bourbons I would like to try. I'm not much on formal parties but a very casual one/several ones would be nice.
You guys have me thinking how great this could be.
Kendall

Return to Bourbon Expeditions