sunday trip to lexington

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

sunday trip to lexington

Unread postby vgnero221 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:30 pm

Could I bother someone for help. I have business in Lex and will be free on Sunday. Can i get a few places not too far away that I really should see and experience. Much appreciated.
vgnero221

Re: sunday trip to lexington

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:28 pm

Sunday is a tough day to do distillery visits. Most are probably closed for summer shutdown and probably don't do full tours, if they do Sunday tours at all. I would suggest checking out the websites at Buffalo Trace, Woodford, Wild Turkey and Four Roses to see if they do Sunday tours. If so anyone of them would be worth visiting. You might want to come on over to Louisville and check out some of the bourbon bars. I highly recommend the Bourbon's Bistro and they are open for dinner on Sundays.

If you can't do bourbon tours, the Kentucky Horse Park is something else to check out. Well worth your time. If you come on in to Louisville, Churchill Downs is always a good tour, as well as the Slugger Museum (just look for the big bat on Main Street) and the Ali Center and Frazier History Museum.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:03 pm

I just ran a quick check. Neither Buffalo Trace nor Wild Turkey offer Sunday tours. Four Roses is on summer shutdown until Sept. 5th. = no tours. Woodford Reserve's website is down just now, but as I recall there are no Sunday tours. As Professor Veach has stated, most distilleries are shutdown for heavy maintenance during August.

However, I have good news! Most churches are open on Sundays, and I have it on good authority that GOD has an 'open door policy' with office hours 24/7.

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Woodford Reserve is probably the most convenient distillery from Lexington and even if they aren't giving tours, a visit to the site and its visitor's center, assuming that's open, would be worth the short drive from Lexington. Also, the town of Versailles itself is interesting and a little more typical of Kentucky than more metropolitan Lexington. Woodford, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses and Wild Turkey are all relatively close to Lexington and if you've never been, even a drive-by might be interesting. If nothing else, it's a pretty drive.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Bourbon Expeditions