Comments on bourbonv`s review of Old Taylor (old bottling which was 86 proof)

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on bourbonv`s review of Old Taylor (old bottling which was 86 proof)

Unread postby forumadmin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:13 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about bourbonv's review of Old Taylor (old bottling which was 86 proof).
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:14 pm

Here's something cool, I was reading the above review and saw the words "old bottling which was 86 proof" and then went straight to the taste note (omitting "info on the bottle"). And I thought, that sounds like a particularly good National Distillers bottling of Old Taylor from the early 1980's, of which I've tasted quite a few. Those pre-Beam bottlings from the 80's were about 10 years old according to Michael Jackson's 1987 World Guide To Whisky. Only then did I see Mike was talking about a Prohibition-era Old Taylor! I am sure it trumps the ND ones of the era I speak and yet, I am also sure that the early 80's bottlings show a definite link to Mike's bottle. They are probably just a little lighter. I have a pint left of OT 86's and 80's that I vatted from about 10 bottles from that time (all bottled between '82 and '88 or so). My vatting tastes very close to Mike's notes. Mike, save some of that gold for me, I'll bring down my pint to compare it to!

Gary
Vatman
gillmang
Vatman

Re: Comments on bourbonv`s review of Old Taylor (old bottling which was 86 proof)

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:35 am

Gary,
I am sorry, but I will not make promises that I can save some for you of this bottle. I opened this at a dinner with Louisville tourism and a German reporter doing an article on the Urban Bourbon Trail and the writer's cup. I promised him I would send a 200ml sample for further tasting and I am not sure there is much more than 100ml left. If there was enough I was going to send Linn a 50ml sample. I am afraid that would put your request 3rd on the list. If there is any left I will save you some.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Comments on bourbonv`s review of Old Taylor (old bottling which was 86 proof)

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:46 am

Mike I understand fully!

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Professor Veach,

I just read your latest review, and was shocked to notice this was actually a 100 proof bottled-in-bond bourbon distilled in 1917 during "The Great War". Your tasting notes of; apple, caramel, fine leather, nuts, and dark tobacco sounds delicious! I am also quite flattered that you would even consider sending me a sample.

Linn - :notworthy:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:57 pm

OK Mike, I've posted my review. Many thanks for affording me a taste of this very fine bourbon. I take it that this bourbon was distilled at the Old Taylor 'castle' distillery on Glenn's Creek near Maysville, and that white corn was used in the mash, and that the bourbon was aged in heat cycled brick warehouses. Is that correct?

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Linn,
I don't know if he continued to use white corn after he left the OFC distillery, but he probably did. The Old Taylor distillery is where this was made and they were heat cycled.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:03 am

Linn did not have time to comment much on your tasting last night, but I do want to do so now. I agree with you about letting this whiskey breath. The more it breathes the better it gets and it starts off pretty damn good. I found bing cherries at the first, but the dark fruit transformed into very ripe apples as it sat. The caramel became stronger and chocolate began to creep into the caramel. There was not a whole lot of spice, but what there was complemented the fruit perfectly. And the old leather and fine tobacco tied all of the flavors together for one beautiful masterpiece of a bourbon.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion