Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey

Unread postby merlin87 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Damned fine Whiskey in my opinion. This evening I am enjoying it with a Winston Churchill Blenheim cigar. It is a helluva combination. :bounce:
I have taken more good from alcohol than it has taken from me.
-Winston Churchill

Johnny C. Barrett
Merlin87@earthling.net
http://homepages.otelco.net/merlin
(100% Microsoft free WEBsite)
merlin87

Re: Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey

Unread postby maierar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:57 am

Harder to find around here than elephant poop in a bird cage, but well worth the search.
maierar

Unread postby merlin87 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:20 pm

This is a fine example of tastes being subjective. I find this whiskey to be smoother than a lot of bourbons I enjoy. It is good for a change of pace. Maierar, you and I seen to be of like minds on this.
-Winston Churchill

Johnny C. Barrett
Merlin87@earthling.net
merlin87

Unread postby maierar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Merlin: Try it with a large ring, mild maduro (I'm not usually a fan of mild maduros, I usually prefer fuller-bodied ones, but I keep a box of Bahia 1994 Torpedos just to have with Bernheim"s).
maierar

Unread postby merlin87 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:30 pm

maierar wrote:Merlin: Try it with a large ring, mild maduro (I'm not usually a fan of mild maduros, I usually prefer fuller-bodied ones, but I keep a box of Bahia 1994 Torpedos just to have with Bernheim"s).

Hey, will do! I usually smoke strong maddies, like Padrons, but I am sure I can manage something else, especially since I work in a cigar shop...
-Winston Churchill

Johnny C. Barrett
Merlin87@earthling.net
merlin87

Unread postby merlin87 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:46 pm

mozilla wrote:
merlin87 wrote:This is a fine example of tastes being subjective. I find this whiskey to be smoother than a lot of bourbons I enjoy. It is good for a change of pace. Maierar, you and I seen to be of like minds on this.

Other than smooth....how else would you describe this whiskey? I don't remember getting much in the barrel range of flavors either.

Could it be that you have matched a medium bodied whiskey with a full bodied cigar and therefor are very satisfied with the combo? ...Having more to do with the combo than either product individually.

I would be interested in you trying BW next to one of your other favorite pours head to head without the cigar to influence your satisfaction. What do you think, ....possible? :bounce:

I didn't think it was horrible....just thought the price/profile/packaging was a little overboard. But to HH's defense...there is no other product of it's type on the market.

It would indeed be possible to do a side by side. However, it should wait until I am no longer medicating heavily for back pain- surgery is eminent. The drugs HAVE to be skewing my tastes. After the surgery I should have LOTS of time to perform tasting and other fun stuff...
-Winston Churchill

Johnny C. Barrett
Merlin87@earthling.net
merlin87

Unread postby maierar » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:16 pm

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
maierar

Unread postby merlin87 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks fellas. This will be number three, so I am an old pro when it comes to back surgery. I am tired of constantly being on muscle relaxers and Lortabs, so as soon as the surgeon says go, I will be on the road to recovery and happier for certain. There is so much stress in my job right now, I am looking at it as a vacation!

Time for tastings and maybe a mini excursion up to George Dickle (I haven't been there yet).
-Winston Churchill

Johnny C. Barrett
Merlin87@earthling.net
merlin87

Unread postby RogerB » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:04 pm

I enjoy Bernheim's quite a bit too- very smooth and flavorful. As for Dickel, the #12 and Barrel Select are excellent IMHO.
RogerB

Unread postby merlin87 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:44 pm

No longer on meds and did another tasting. I still REALLY like the Bernheim. I don't find it "one dimensional", but I will say, it doesn't have the complexity of a good bourbon, like Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve. But, I find it tasty in its own right.
-Winston Churchill

Johnny C. Barrett
Merlin87@earthling.net
merlin87

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:04 pm

That is exactly how I would discribe it. I liked it and would buy it again for the right price.
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:55 pm

What I find interesting about Bernheim is to think of it in relationship to various straight ryes. All of the major distillery straight ryes taste like close cousins to their distillery's bourbons, yet Bernheim bears very little resemblance to bourbon, which is part of what I like about it. Yet the only difference between Bernheim and, say, Rittenhouse rye is the principal grain. They both contain about 40% corn, they're both aged in new, charred barrels, and they're both aged for about five years.

One of the things that, for me, keeps the subject of American whiskey endlessly engaging is that none of these products is solely the sum of its parts.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby p_elliott » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:27 am

I had this for the first time at the KBF I found it to be very interesting, tasted nothing like a wheater bourbon which is what I expected except to the extreme. It's mild, smooth, not very complex, sweet, I'm not sure I want a bottle of it, if I did it would last a long time as it not something I would drink very often, I'm more into full body and flavor from my whiskey like WT 101.

Just stumbled upon this old post of mine, I got a bottle of this for Christmas. I would edit the sweet statement to it's not sweet like wheated bourbon, I don't drink it very often but I do like it. It's a starter whiskey for evening it does not follow other whiskey well as it's too mellow. I will replace this bottle when this one is gone.
Last edited by p_elliott on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:31 am

I usually have a bottle and like it as a change of pace. It's unique. It's whiskey and it's aged in new charred barrels, so that part is the same, but otherwise it tastes nothing like bourbon or rye.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey