I Still Love Ballantine XXX Ale today!

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

I Still Love Ballantine XXX Ale today!

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:48 am

About two yrs ago i went out and found that Ballantine XXX Ale is still being made and that it is very Good Again. The Pabst group when they bought back their Brands bought it back and now have it brewed for them. it is just like the Ballantine Ale of the old days strong Corn smell and deep yellow when you pour it out. It is most refreshing to drink and has a great mouth feel to it. I have been buying it everytime I run out and as long as it stays the way it is will continue. When I was young I loved this and the Old balllantine Beer and Famous India Ale.
Dave
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Its Food
--------------------------------------------------
Kinsey Worker

Re: I Still Love Ballantine XXX Ale today!

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:21 am

I wish they brought back the IPA. I really liked that one.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby PaulO » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 am

If anyone is interested you can go to the official Pabst Brewing site and look at their brand locator. They have a map oi the US and list names of distributors (but not retailers) that handle specific products. Here in IN they don't sell Balentine. Some distributors in neighboring states carry it, but I have never seen any in stores while traveling. My understanding is that Balentine is brewed close to the pre-prohibition recipe; top fermenting yeast, and doesn't skimp on malt and hops. Here is a question. What other brands taste similar to Balentine? Oh, and my biggest disappontment in shopping in other states has to be PA! My hopes were very high as there are distributors there that handle more brands of domestic beer than allmost any other state except NY. The problem is PA has some sort of communist inspired state controlled liquor store system. There are few and hard to find state stores with lots of funny rules. You can have a beer in a restaurant or bar, no problem. If you would like to have a beer in your hotel room, or pick up a case of Yuengling to take back home good luck.
PaulO

Unread postby PaulO » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:05 am

Hey BourbonJoe, I just want you to know that I am not trying to put down the people of PA. Everybody was real nice and parts of the state I saw were quite beautiful. The state controlled store thing was the only disappointment. Here in IN I can buy bourbon, beer, whatever at most grocery stores or pharmacies as well as liquor stores except on Sundays. KY is still my all around favorite for selection, price, availability.
PaulO

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:48 am

The Pa state controled system is the worse thing for sure. Have a favorite Beer you can't get it. Want Bourbon you have to take what Fortune Brands decides you want as they do the Inventory of the shelves for Pa. One Thing they have plenty of Is Beam as they are the Parent Company. I get so mad when they take out good Bourbons and bring in more Beam & Wine that I now Call It Jim BEAN! We are getting Beaned with it. The Beer Distributers are good Guys for the most part but they are told what they can and can't Get by the Governors Boys!
Dave Z
Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
------------------------------------------------------
Kinsey Worker

Unread postby PaulO » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:34 pm

Are there any other brands foreign or domestic that are very similar to Ballantine Ale? I was thinking maybe Molson Export, Labatt 50, or Bass. I tried some of the Ballantine IPA many years ago when it was available in my area for a brief time. I have never tried their "regular" ale.
PaulO

Return to What Ales You