Barbeque and Beer Brewing

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

Barbeque and Beer Brewing

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:27 pm

Saturday before last we had a barbeque and beer making bash over at a friend's house. I was in charge of getting the beer making supplies and the ribs and working out the schedule. I had plenty of willing help once we got underway. One of my friends has a huge shop which was ideal for being inside while making the beer. It was snowing lightly and gave us pause about doing an outside barbeque, but that stopped us not.

I cooked 30 lbs of ribs under a canopy we set up and although it took a lot more charcoal than normal, the ribs came out as good as ever.

We made 2 five gallon batches of Red Ale. A friend, who has never made beer before, wanted to participate and also wanted to try using the water from a spring near his home called Indian Springs (also site of a GA State Park).

The Beer recipes were exactly the same in order to compare the effect of the spring water. The Indian Springs water did have a decided sulphur smell to it, and left us wondering if that would make for bad beer.

After a week in primary fermentation we transferred the beer to secondary fermemtation yesterday afternoon.

Fortunately, the sulphur odor was gone from the Indian Springs batch and both beers tasted very good (they are not yet carbonated so are a bit flat). We will bottle them on Feb 16th and have a tasting party probably in late April or early May.

I took my camera along but stayed so busy cooking, beer making, drinking, lying, and cutting the fool that I completely forgot to take any pictures.

Altogether, we had about 25 people (in spite of the lousy weather) and even the wives were allowed to participate this time.

Lots of work and lots of fun. I have many friends who helped and made the day more fun and interesting.

I will let you know how our Red Ale turns out and if the Indian Springs water made any difference. From the small sample while we were transferring the beer to secondary fermentation, both beers will be quite tasty.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Barbeque and Beer Brewing

Unread postby gillmang » Sat May 24, 2008 11:59 am

Mike, how did the red ale turn out? Was there any difference between the two batches?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Mon May 26, 2008 6:36 pm

Gary, the batch using the Indian Springs water was slightly better.......a little more complex. We had our tasting with about 25 people and several of the folks there had never had full bore, deep flavored, dry hopped beer that satisfies with just one or two bottles. Hard to tell if they really liked it or were just being polite.

Because the fellow where I buy beer supplies is none too careful in measuring the malt, and gave us a gracious plenty above what the recipe called for, our beer turned out to be fairly potent. I estimate it comes in at about 6.5%.

Our tasting was at the lakeside home of my friend and we all had a great time. I cooked some wine scented butterflied leg of lamb that turned our well. Along with our homebrew, we had some Linderman's Bin 80 wine.......an inexpensive but excellent wine that complemented the lamb.

No plans right now for another brewing, but we are planning a July 4th barbeque rib party, come on down and I will let you sample the Indian Springs Red Ale against the Wal-Mart bottled water Red Ale and you can judge for yourself.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Thu May 29, 2008 4:02 am

That's a kind offer, Mike, much appreciated, maybe another time since that weekend I have to be in Toronto for a party here (it's on a boat that tours the Toronto Islands just off the downtown). That beer sounds great and as you say, there is nothing like a well-malted, well-hopped homebrew. If you see Marston's Pedigree around, you might try that since it is said to have a slight taste of sulphur, it is part of the palate of the "Burton Unions" style of beers. Might make an interesting comparison! All the best and hope to catch up with you before long, hope you and the family are well.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to What Ales You