What's In A Name?

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

What's In A Name?

Unread postby cowdery » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:53 pm

I was in Kentucky this past week. Driving south out of Louisville my plans suddenly changed and I got off at the Shepherdsville exit to turn around. I noticed on the "Attractions" signs the words "Knob Creek," but didn't see what else it said. I thought about the posting here about the Knob Creek Lounge and wondered if Beam had put some kind of destination attraction in Shepherdsville. The next sign I was able to read the rest: "Knob Creek Gun Range." That's what happens when you name your product after a place. You can't really control the name. Actually, Knob Creek is pretty famous. I've long known there was a place down there, close to Fort Knox, where you could shoot machine guns and such, I just didn't know that was the name. I imagine Beam isn't too thrilled, but I think the gun range had the name first. It is, after all, in Bullitt County. (Though it's not spelled like either the projectile or the bourbon, the pronunciation is the same.)
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby EllenJ » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:13 am

There's also an area a bit north of Louisville - right about where I-71 and I-75 meet before the Covington airport. There's a flea-market mall there, and one of the indoor regulars has a great collection of whiskey- and brewriana.

The community is known as Richwood.

Don't tell the folks at Brown-Forman :roll:
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:10 am

Chuck,
The Knob Creek Gun Range just had their annual Machine Gun event. They have been doing this for at least 30 years now. They advertise big time on television and radio the weeks leading up to the event. I have always wondered if the Knob Creek brand was created to play up to this free publicity.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Expeditions