Some like it cold

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Some like it cold

Unread postby britan » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:06 pm

I like my bourbon very cold, in fact I usually keep some in the freezer. I find this really brings out more ofthe bourbon's subtle flavors.

Anyone else do this?

BTW, at the end of the Buffalo Trace they give two samples...one at room temp, the other chilled.
britan

Unread postby britan » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:30 am

Guess I'm alone on this one :lol:
britan

Unread postby Mark » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:01 pm

Damn, I meant to reply to this Brian but got too damned busy. :oops:

In the summer I tend to like my bourbon chilled but in the winter it is straight right out of the bottle. When I do drink it chilled in the summertime though, I usually add a few chips of ice; I've never tried the freezer. I've meant to just never have.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:10 pm

Brian,

When I'm just drinking to be drinking I'm an on the rocks guy. Serious tasting requires room temp. & neat in specialized glassware.

ima
bunghole

Unread postby tlsmothers » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:15 pm

Never done that. On my way to the freezer now. Hmmm...which bottle is the lucky ice chamber candidate?
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby angelshare » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:15 pm

I also consider bourbon on the rocks my default pouring style, but I have never tried the freezer. Do you find that certain brands are better "frozen?" If I were going to put a bourbon in the freezer, which should I try there first?
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:35 pm

Legend has it that the reason Wild Turkey was so good on that first turkey hunt was because it was very cold and the whiskey got very cold before they drank it. I have heard Elmer T. Lee say that he has put bourbon in the freezer before as well. I don't like it that cold myself and I drink it neat.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:19 am

I've never tried the freezer trick with anything but vodka. I prefer bourbon either straight (for serious tasting) or with a tiny bit of ice for casual quaffing (could you have guessed!?)
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:52 am

bourbonv wrote: I don't like it that cold myself and I drink it neat.

Mike Veach

I agree with you Mike. I think excessive cold diminishes the flavors, not only with bourbon, but also with beer. I either drink bourbon neat, or with a bit of water (which is generally my preferred option). Regardless though of our individual preferences, we should all enjoy the way we enjoy it! :salute: :drink:

Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:38 am

I generally drink it neat but do believe some bourbons demand a little water - Booker's and Stagg in particularly. With that said high proof is not always the determining factor. Some bourbon will have a taste I don't care for and I have to add water to bring about some better flavors. Elijah Craig (12 and 18 yo) is an example of that. They have a tannic bitterness I do not like so I water it down to make it drinkable.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby tlsmothers » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:37 pm

Well, I just went to the freezer to get out my stash of Van Winkle 10 year 90 and got so excited about this experiment that I dropped it. :( Nice perfume I'm wearing today, but I ain't gonna suck the cold stuff out of my shirt just to see if the freezer made it good. Back to the freezer...
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:21 pm

bunghole wrote: [snip] Serious tasting requires room temp. & neat in specialized glassware.

ima

I agree. I generally drink neat, even with barrel-strength bourbons. Rather than add water to barrel-strength bourbons, I hold the bottom of the glass in my hand and swirl the bourbon around for ten minutes or so to let it warm up and breath. One of the factors I think makes, for instance, Stagg such a standout is that even at high proof it is very drinkable neat.
TrueBarrel

Unread postby tlsmothers » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:22 pm

Put my whiskey back in the freezer. Hours later I go back to begin my experiment. Uh-Oh It was really yummy with those frozen Reese's cups I found in there, as well. :oops: I just got distracted from my whiskey tasting and ate way too much candy. More serious notes to follow later on my experiment sans chocolate peanut butter cups.
tlsmothers

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:48 am

When you say you put it in the freezer - is it safe to assume that you mean the entire bottle goes in the freezer and not servings (like it sounds like others may have intepreted?

Personally I prefer or I should say enjoy - bourbon more in the fall / winter. So in a way I do prefer mine at cooler tempuratures, as I often take a double outside in the winter to enjoy with a fine cigar. I've never employed the freezer technique (yet)
White Lightning

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:14 pm

TrueBarrel wrote:I hold the bottom of the glass in my hand and swirl the bourbon around for ten minutes or so to let it warm up and breath. One of the factors I think makes, for instance, Stagg such a standout is that even at high proof it is very drinkable neat.

You're so right. I once attended a tasting with JM. The one thing I remember from that event, was his emphasis on “heating” your whiskey. His rule of thumb was, that you should heat the whiskey for as many minutes as it is years old. Now this tasting was manly scotch, so I don’t know if you should double the time when drinking bourbon. I have found that doing this will make even high proof bottlings drinkable straight.
One thing is sure though, if god ever feels in a good mood and gives me a pour of Pappy 23 I wont wait ¾ of an hour before having a sip. I know self control is a virtue, but… :twisted:

Thomas
The Whiskey Viking

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight