Comments on bunghole's review of Old Forester Birthday Bourb

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on bunghole's review of Old Forester Birthday Bourb

Unread postby forumadmin » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:09 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about bunghole's review of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2007;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:10 pm

Sounds like a great B-Day pour... looks like you enjoyed this as much as the 2004 that you had... have you had any of the 2005 or 2006 (comparison?)? I looked at this long and hard a couple of nights ago and decided with the Blanton’s...
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:25 pm

spun_cookie wrote:Sounds like a great B-Day pour... looks like you enjoyed this as much as the 2004 that you had... have you had any of the 2005 or 2006 (comparison?)? I looked at this long and hard a couple of nights ago and decided with the Blanton’s...

Yes, I have had the chance to sample the 2006 while visiting with Mike Veach this past June. I found it to be very good. I would really like to do a blind shootout between the original 2002 release and the 2007. I don't recall ever having any '05.

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:01 pm

After replying to spun_cookie's post I went back to read my review of the 2004 as I had forgotten even writting it. I was more than pleasently surprised to find that it too had been a gift from Georgia Mike. More than that I had to smile when I read that I had also referenced the sonic qualities of that expression to the mighty Hammond B-3 organ with Leslie tone cabinets. It's not often that I impress myself, but this is uncanny. It just goes to show that there is a common theme in master distiller Chris Morris' selection of barrels of Old Forester for each years bottling. For those of you who are lucky enough to have a bottle of each year, you've got quite a bourbon education there for the drinking.

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:34 pm

Bunghole is back in the saddle again!!

He do write a good bourbon review, don't he? Word in Virginia is that he can bend a railroad spike with his bare hands.

I am glad you liked the Birthday Bourbon as much (or more) than I did, old pal.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Mike wrote:Bunghole is back in the saddle again!!

He do write a good bourbon review, don't he? Word in Virginia is that he can bend a railroad spike with his bare hands.

I am glad you liked the Birthday Bourbon as much (or more) than I did, old pal.

Neither one of those reviews would have happened without your kindness and generosity, Mike. You're the man! :notworthy:

Linn :sunny:
bunghole

Unread postby brendaj » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:29 am

I don't recall ever having any '05.

Awww, well now don't I just feel guilty... :P

Mike was so kind as to give me a bottle of the spring '05 for Christmas. It was (is) one of my favorites so far. It has all the richness of the 07 without the mint. I'm not so much for the mint. I like the cinnamon, allspice, ginger. Mint, not so much... :lol:

Well...true to form, I have ripped into it pretty hard since Christmas. In my defense, I have shared...a little. I'm mean geez...this is the 7th of January... :roll:

Anyway, I will ceremoniously save the last couple of inches (not a peep from any of you... :silent:) until the next time you can make it to Kentucky. Or, John' & Linda's house...whichever comes first... :wink:
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:29 am

You're on, Brenda! :thumbleft:
bunghole

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:45 pm

WHooo... that is good. My wife grabbed me a bottle when she was in Phoenix... much better than the 2006...
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby ggilbertva » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:44 am

bunghole wrote:
spun_cookie wrote:Sounds like a great B-Day pour... looks like you enjoyed this as much as the 2004 that you had... have you had any of the 2005 or 2006 (comparison?)? I looked at this long and hard a couple of nights ago and decided with the Blanton’s...

Yes, I have had the chance to sample the 2006 while visiting with Mike Veach this past June. I found it to be very good. I would really like to do a blind shootout between the original 2002 release and the 2007. I don't recall ever having any '05.

Linn

Well golly Linn, if we set up another tasting, I'll bring my bottle of '05 OFBB. I also have an '04. I have to admit though, that my initial tasting of the BB wasn't stellar. I'll have to do some research and find out which year I tried. Maybe another year will be more to my liking.
ggilbertva

Unread postby brendaj » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:47 pm

I'm not positive, but I believe they released 2 expressions in 05. The one I liked was the purple/spring. Some excellent Bourbon.

If I remember correctly, I wasn't as impressed with the fall...however, honestly I don't really remember... :dontknow: What I can testify to is the quality of the spring release. Very good stuff...
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:55 am

... poured some more tonight... damn that stuff is good... got to go buy more...

Thank you Georgia Mike for getting this for bunghole... I would not have had it if not for your generosity and his review :drool:
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:03 am

Good God - Give The Drummer Some :!:

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:04 pm

Old groupies never die! :band:
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:04 pm

Bunghole.... I opened up my 04 last night... I think the 07 is better, but the 04 is good.... let me know and I will send you 50 ml of it for a comparison if you like.... memory is only so good for tastes that far apart :clock:

Emerald
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion