Weller Centennial transitional bottling?

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Weller Centennial transitional bottling?

Unread postby MikeK » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:46 pm

Weller Centennial bottles from the 1990's Heritage Collection come in a 'British' bottle, you can differentiate these by the embosing on the bottom of the bottle. MikeV knows the particulars better than I. They have a Louisville label. This whiskey is accepted to be S/W.

More recent bottlings have a Frankfort label, a domestic bottle, and are BT whiskey.

I've recently been drinking what I shall call a transistional bottle. It has the old English embosed bottle but the newer Frankfort label. It does not taste quite like S/W, and definitely not like BT whiskey. I think it has a Bernheim flavor.

Did BT get some Bernheim wheat in the deal and use it after the S/W ran out and before their own distillate was ready?
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Re: Weller Centennial transitional bottling?

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:51 am

MikeK wrote:Did BT get some Bernheim wheat in the deal and use it after the S/W ran out and before their own distillate was ready?

Yes.

It is customary when selling a whiskey brand to also supply enough product of appropriate age to support the brand until its new maker's product is fully aged.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby ACDetroit » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:52 am

I did a side by side of these 2 recently! and as Chuck has said in the past the bottles share a profile. You can not beat that old L'Ville Centennial bottling for the money!

It's like candy (Brach's Butterscotch to be exact). My L'Ville bottle is empty but I think I have 13 in the bunker!!

Tony
Tony Curtis

“So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey.”
W.C. Fields
ACDetroit

Weller Cent

Unread postby ggilbertva » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:13 pm

13 in the bunker? I considered myself fortunate to have just 1 bottle from L'Ville. I also have a Cent. with Frankfort on the label. One day I'll put these two side by side and do the comparison.
ggilbertva

Unread postby ACDetroit » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:39 pm

Yeah I had some Michigan guys over last night and I opened another L'ville bottle. Not quite as sublime as the first but very good. I have seen some Frankfort releases with a gold shrink seal on the top and these were not transitional bottles. Never did grab one of them though. I have a couple Transitional bottles as well.

I did not find as much butterscotch in the transition bottle and it had more barrel notes than the L'ville bottle. Not bad notes just not as good as the L'ville IMHO.
Tony Curtis

“So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey.”
W.C. Fields
ACDetroit

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings