OLd Punch Recipes.

Cookin' in the kitchen with bourbon & Brenda! Come on in and view her recipes or share with us some of your own.

Moderator: Squire

OLd Punch Recipes.

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:11 pm

I am going to put together a series of Punch recipes and state where they came from and who published them. I know Gary is interested in punch recipes and evidently Chuck is working on an article on punch so he might also find this information usefull.

These first recipes all come from Beverages De Luxe, published in 1911.

The Pendennis Club, Louisville, Ky.

Ananais Punch

The Juice of one dozen Lemons Peeled.
One jigger Angostura Bitters.
Three quarts Champagne.
One quart Apollinaris water.
One pint cherries.
Put all ingredients together in a punch bowl, mix well, ice, and serve in Champagne goblets.

Union League Club, Philadelphia, Pa.

Whiskey Punch

One portion whiskey.
Juice of one lemon.
One pony Curacoa.
One dash St. Croix Rum.
Sugar.
Shake well and serve in small gablet with a slice of orange and pineapple.

The Elks Club, New Orleans, La.

McGroney Punch
One tablespoon of powdered sugar.
Two tablespoons Lime Juice.
One teaspoon Raspberry syrup.
A dash of Kirschwasser.
Half a gill of rye whiskey.
One tablespoon of rum.
Enough Seltzer to half fill a lemonade glass.
Stir well and fill glass with ice.

Listed as "Famous Ancestral Bluegrass Recipe

Champagne Punch

The juice of six lemons and six limes strained into a teacup of granulated sugar that has been previously dissolved in one half cupful of hot water.
Stir into this one pint of French Brandy and one small teacupful of Jamacian Rum.
Turn into this one gallon of Orange ice frozen very hard and four quarts of Champagne.
Top off with thin slices of orange and fresh pineapple and large red and black cherries.
When the Champagne is well mixed in with the other ingredients (breaking up the orange ice as little as possible) serve in punch cups, dipping a small lump of orange ice in each cup with punch.

These are the recipes from Beverage De Luxe.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby brendaj » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:17 pm

Mike,
Shoot, I'm so sorry I missed this earlier. Thanks for posting this. I would help if I could, but the only punch recipe I have is Kickapoo Joy Juice...and it involves NGS... :roll:

But, the last recipe (the Champagne Punch) reminds me of a Mimosa...
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Re: OLd Punch Recipes.

Unread postby pisoury » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:19 am

How do I go about finding work in a champagne house in france? I would love to work in a well-known champagne house in France. I speak fluent french and english- how would i go about finding one?
Last edited by pisoury on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
pisoury

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 am

All interesting and different, thanks, Mike (and Happy New Year). I heard that David Wondrich has a new book out called Punch: The Delights (And Dangers) Of The Flowing Bowl. This is a must-buy since Wondrich is the best writer I know on historical cocktails and related drinks. He combines great knowledge and curiosity with an academic bent. Yet his books maintain an engaging, light humor as well.

I've been looking for this and will find it soon I hope.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Cool. At last years Manhattan Cocktail Classic, Anchor Distilling was giving away reprints they'd made of Cocktail Boothby's American Bar-Tender, from the 1891 edition. There are a number of punches listed. Here's his version of Whiskey Punch (which is the same as brandy punch substituting whiskey for the brandy)

Cocktail Boothby's Whiskey Punch (for one)
Into a stem glass place a piece of ice, over which pour a jigger of whiskey. Then take a small mixing glass, into which place a large spoonful of sugar, the juice of one lemon, a dash of Curacao and a very little Apollinaris or plain water. Stir thoroughly, pour into the stem glass containing the ice and liquor, stir again, add a little fruit and serve. A dash of champagne is usually added.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Return to Bourbon Recipes