Comments on Mike's review of Jim Beam Black 8 year old

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on Mike's review of Jim Beam Black 8 year old

Unread postby forumadmin » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:05 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about Mike's review of Jim Beam Black 8 year old;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:05 pm

Mike,
This is always my favorite Beam Bourbon. It is nice and well balanced with enough grain flavor to make it interesting while there is a very good barrel tone sweetness. The next best thing is the Baker's 107 but there is a fire in it that I have to cut it with water and that makes it taste like the Beam Black.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:13 pm

I don't drink this one often enough. It's my baseline for complex bourbons just as much as Jim Beam White-label is a benchmark for acceptable general bourbon. As Mike points out, you get the corn, you get the rye (and it's floral fruitiness), you get the alcohol hit, you sense the oakiness from the barrel. It's all there, compartmentalized like not often found. This is 'instructor' bourbon -- you can make people understand what the Hell you're talkin' about with this one. Best of all, it's cheap enough not to worry about whether to buy a bottle. Keep one on the shelf.
TNbourbon

My new favorite

Unread postby Eggman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:53 pm

Howdy,

Jim Beam Black is my new favorite. I drink Bourbon for a nightcap and add 2 oz. to my Diet Coke. I prefer it to white label, but white label is a decent git-er-done Bourbon; good quality/price ratio.
Beam black label is smoother and not so rough around the edges as white label and worth the extra few dollars. I also prefer black label to Knob Creek and Wild Turkey 101, although WT 101 gives black label a good run for the money.

Eggman

PS: I cannot comment really on black or white label neat. For me they're almost striclty Diet Coke additives. I'm sure many of you experienced Bourbon lovers consume it neat, but I'm still a tenderfoot.
Eggman

Unread postby Bucc58 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:57 pm

Try your Wild Turkey and Knob Creek in Diet Dr. Pepper. 8-)
Joe Young
Bucc58

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion