Wild Turkey American Spirit

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Wild Turkey American Spirit

Unread postby Mike » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:18 pm

Being of weak character and a weak mind, I coughed up the $93 for a bottle of Wild Turkey American Spirit today.

I find the best Wild Turkey bourbons to have a bit of nuts and leather in the nose (in addition to other aromas) that just gives them depth and complexity.

WT AS has the nuts and leather and also I detect a whiff of maple syrup that sweetens the nose nicely.

My opinions on Wild Turkey products must be taken with some grains of corn, because I am a WT bigot.......about all their products (save Russell's Reserve 90 proof, which was a felonious assault on the WT faithful). There are days when no bourbon, save a Wild Turkey bourbon, will sooth my savage breast.

American Spirit has the rich buttery mouthfeel that Jimmy Russell creates so beautifully. AS carries some vanilla and maple syrup right along with the jolt of spice and citrus imparted by the rye.

I am almost out of WT 12 YO, WT 8 YO, and WT Tribute, so WT American Spirit comes along at an opportune moment. I must say, though, that in my opinion it is not quite the equal of the 12 YO or the 8 YO, and is really too expensive. Still, it is likely that WT will sell all its 12,000 bottles.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:39 pm

Thanks for the great review Mike. Now I don't know if I'll buy one or not.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby TNbourbon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:27 pm

Mike, I found it to be almost a mirror image of Tribute -- in that everything was backward! The Tribute starts pretty sweet and spicy, and dries into the characteristic WT leather-y finish, while the American Spirit starts out leather-dry and sweetens appreciably. The same, 'cept different!
TNbourbon

Unread postby Mike » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:43 pm

TNbourbon wrote:Mike, I found it to be almost a mirror image of Tribute -- in that everything was backward! The Tribute starts pretty sweet and spicy, and dries into the characteristic WT leather-y finish, while the American Spirit starts out leather-dry and sweetens appreciably. The same, 'cept different!

Now that is an interesting comment, Tim. Strange to say, but now American Spirit makes 'sense' to me. I thought it was also the same 'cept different but couldn't put a finger in it.

American Spirit is Tribute backing down Wild Turkey Avenue. I look forward to sipping some bourbon with you one day afore too long, Tim.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby ACDetroit » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:12 am

Just picked two up in Lexington today for 79.99. Have not opened one as of yet but now There are 3 so one is getting opened.

AC
Tony Curtis

“So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey.”
W.C. Fields
ACDetroit

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:15 am

If anybody needs any WTAS, Shoppers Vineyard in Clifton N.J. has it for $79.95 a bottle. They do mail order.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Re:

Unread postby Attila » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:30 am

TNbourbon wrote:Mike, I found it to be almost a mirror image of Tribute -- in that everything was backward! The Tribute starts pretty sweet and spicy, and dries into the characteristic WT leather-y finish, while the American Spirit starts out leather-dry and sweetens appreciably. The same, 'cept different!

Now you are gonna make me go out and buy a Tribute just to compare it to my WTAS.
Attila

Re: Wild Turkey American Spirit

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:36 pm

While I have never even seen a Tribute, I have had the privelage of tasting American Spirit. And by tasting I mean that's pretty much what I drank all night. When presented with an opportunity like that you get all you can. They had multiple bottles, so I didn't feel bad. It is a nice change,very rich and yes I would drink it every day, but the price prohibits. Kentucky Spirit is a much better deal in my opinion. You get the same experience, with a few rough edges. If you can call those edges rough.
drinkdrankdrunk

Re: Wild Turkey American Spirit

Unread postby jburlowski » Thu May 28, 2009 9:22 pm

WTAS, is, simply put, one of the best bourbons currently available.
John B.
jburlowski

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings