Comments on gillmang's review of Elijah Craig 12 year old

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby Bucc58 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:41 pm

OK. there is probably a big difference. I just bought mine and I'm sure it is a very recent bottle. If it used to be a good brand, someone screwed up. IMO 8-)
Joe Young
Bucc58

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:09 pm

Yellowstone of this bottle's era was the best selling bourbon in Kentucky.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Kendall » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:20 pm

what is the bottle next to the Virginia Gentleman?
Looks like a good time was had.
Kendall

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:06 pm

Wiser's 18 year old Candaian whisky. A full-bodied whisky in the Canadian style with good fruit and oak flavors.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:07 pm

Wiser's 18 year old Canadian whisky. A full-bodied whisky in the Canadian style with rounded, fruity oak flavors. Unlike some aged Canadian whiskies, not tannic or unbalanced, however.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Kendall » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:16 pm

Thank you. Do you recommend it? Is it available here?
Kendall

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:25 am

I believe I may have seen it in Kentucky, I would inquire at Old Time in Louisville or Liquor Barn. The actual name is Wiser's Very Old.

Check too at Party Source, or Liquor World, I think one of the chains in other words in Kentucky probably has it or can get it.

I did see I know at Old Time - last week - Crown Royal Cask No. 16, brand new in Canada too, for $100 - same price as in Canada, so a good price for Americans. This is also excellent, but in a different style than Wiser's Very Old (brandyish, lighter, very smooth). Wiser's Very Old here goes for about $40 and is an excellent value.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Kendall » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:02 pm

Thank you for the information.
Kendall

Unread postby Mike » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:28 pm

Gary, I could not pass on the opportunity to 'test' EC 12 after I had my Wild Turkey 'Throwdown' last night (see my post on the Enthusiast forum) as another check on its quality.

EC is not as robust as WT (no surprise here), but holds its own by virtue of its less assertive style.

Again, I think your nod toward cognac is telling and accurate. It does seem to me that it mimics a blending with some bourbons that are very old.............ones that have taken the very best from the wood.

I find it first rate, memorable, and quite smooth and easy to imbibe..... without giving up being a bourbon that demands your alert senses! Reminds me of some of the better Van Winkles in its sublety.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:49 pm

Mike, thanks, and I'm with you 100%. In this respect, I wonder if a "new" style of bourbon is emerging, one that is brandy-smooth but with full bourbon taste. The new RR rye from WT is - against type for that distillery although the RR 90 bourbon heralded it - satin soft with a pillowy depth. A single barrel Buffalo Trace from Cork & Bottle, from barrel no . 13, shares similar traits to these. ETL tends to be like this too, and Rock Hill Farms (when not too earthy-tasting). Even a current HH bonded impresses by its malty, integrated flavor. I think the taste panels are starting to focus in-depth on some of these brands to get a taste that drinks to perfection neat with the first or second glass.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby azoth_melusina » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:51 pm

i almost get the same sense....except, the smoke is replaced with (in a GOOD sense!) an old woody, musty cellar tinge.

though it is smooth and slight-spicey, at 12 years, i ONLY wish it wasn't so easy to drink...i would like complexity...a near 4 out of a stellar 5
"Whiskey is by far the most popular of all remedies that won't cure a cold." Jerry Vale
azoth_melusina

Re: Comments on gillmang's review of Elijah Craig 12 year old

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:05 pm

My kinda party!~ BB
BuffaloBill

Re: Comments on gillmang's review of Elijah Craig 12 year old

Unread postby Pieface » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:12 am

Great review Gary.

Whilst I have always enjoyed EC12, one of my gateway bourbons, I have found the recent bottlings to be exceptional. I have a pretty limited experience but this EC12 of late seems to sit quite happily in the company of bourbons far higher in price.

The depth of barrel flavour and the weight/viscosity that the 12 years of oak lends to the whiskey places it in a similar mould to the WT12 that we have on our export market - another weighty whiskey that I find most enjoyable but one that is at least twice the price! I can detect the sourness that some refer to on the finish but perhaps my enjoyment of tannic red wines leads me to appreciate this astringency as a positive rather than the negative? Either way I find the finish to add to the balance of the whiskey rather than detract.

Keep it coming HH!
Pieface

Previous

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion