Exploring

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby EllenJ » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 pm

Young man, I hope you can show documentation that you've paid all the proper Kentucky state sales taxes on those bottles.
Say what?
Oh. I'm sorry; you're right. I guess there ISN'T any state sales tax on liquor in Kentucky.
Please accept m'apologies, sir, and y'all have a nice evening.
OH, YOU LUCKY DOGS WHO LIVE IN BLUEGRASS HEAVEN!!!
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:11 pm

Don't worry John, there are plenty of Kentucky taxes on those bottles. As far as I know Kentucky does not have a limit on how much you can own. I can't believe that Tennessee limits you to three gallons - that amount is called breakfast in some parts of Kentucky.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby TNbourbon » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:34 am

bourbonv wrote:...I can't believe that Tennessee limits you to three gallons - that amount is called breakfast in some parts of Kentucky...

Well, I don't like it either, but note that that amount is for 'transport'. Lord knows, I've taken a bottle or two to Bardstown...
Anyway, most law-abiding citizens won't have 15 bottles of booze in their vehicle on the way home. So, it's not that big an issue to others not represented here...
TNbourbon

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:25 pm

In Tennessee, possession (not just transportation) of more than three gallons of untaxed alcohol is a Class E Felony, punishable by up to six years in jail and up to $3,000 in fines.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Mike » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:34 pm

cowdery wrote:In Tennessee, possession (not just transportation) of more than three gallons of untaxed alcohol is a Class E Felony, punishable by up to six years in jail and up to $3,000 in fines.

And you go to jail, I don't suppose they lets you keep the spirits.........naw, it would be unlikely.

I best stay away from Tennessee when I'm adrinking cause I'm likely to have 3 gallon or more on me or nearbout my person. Would they hold the same thing agin a dog?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:27 am

Mike,
Maybe you could convince the officers that the whiskey all belonged to Barleycorn. I don't think the statute has anything against a canine having more than 3 gallons and he could get off free.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:00 am

cowdery wrote:In Tennessee, possession (not just transportation) of more than three gallons of untaxed alcohol is a Class E Felony, punishable by up to six years in jail and up to $3,000 in fines.

Well, okay -- you read law better than I do, Chuck. But I'd warrant that there are a lot of Tennessee retailers that are abetting felonies. Ain't nobody turning down 3-gallon sales!
TNbourbon

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:55 pm

You may buy, and thereby possess, as much as you want so long as you buy it from a licensed Tennessee retailer.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Previous

Return to Bourbon Expeditions