Wild Turkey 1855 Reserve / Rare Breed

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Wild Turkey 1855 Reserve / Rare Breed

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:36 am

For some time now, I’ve been enjoying Wild Turkey 1855 Reserve – which I’ve been told is the export version of Rare Breed. One thing got me wondering though: The front label reads: Barrel Proof, and on the back it says uncut with water. If I remember my Bourbon 101 correctly (somebody feel free to correct me), Bourbon has to be barrelled at least at 110 Proof and no higher than 125 Proof. So how can a Barrel Proof 1855 Reserve end up at 108.8 Proof? – I think we all agree, that for whatever reason, the Proof increases during aging.
Did I remember my Bourbon 101 wrong? – I must have.

Thomas confused Bourbon Nut
The Whiskey Viking

Re: Wild Turkey 1855 Reserve / Rare Breed

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:39 am

The Whiskey Viking wrote:If I remember my Bourbon 101 correctly (somebody feel free to correct me), Bourbon has to be barrelled at least at 110 Proof and no higher than 125 Proof. So how can a Barrel Proof 1855 Reserve end up at 108.8 Proof?

I am hardly qualified to comment on proof at barreling requirements and restrictions - I am still in Bourbon 101R (remedial) - but I can tell you that Jimmy Russell has stated that one of the "secrets" to the high quality of WT is low proof at barreling.

My understanding is that bourbon proof increases with age also.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Strayed » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:59 am

Only half wrong. You got the upper limit right.
There isn't any lower limit specification, though. You can't BOTTLE it under 80 proof without calling it "diluted"; you might be thinking of that.

Wild Turkey benefits from several quality-oriented features, a big one being Jimmy Russell's insistence on low barreling proof. That's an expensive way to go; corn and water don't cost much, it's the storage that brings the expenses up. The accountants would barrel it at 160 if they could get away with it. To their credit, the parent company (Pernod/Ricard) appears to favor Jimmy's position in such matters (same with the number of years WT ages)

The bourbon used for Rare Breed/1855 Reserve is the same used for regular-issue Wild Turkey. Cutting the whiskey from ~108 to 101 results in a far more flavorful product than cutting 127+ to 101.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:04 pm

Strayed wrote:There isn't any lower limit specification, though. You can't BOTTLE it under 80 proof without calling it "diluted"; you might be thinking of that.

Wouldn't you think there has to be a lower limit regarding to quality as well. So you might end up with a "quality window" say from 90 Proof to 110.

Strayed wrote:Wild Turkey benefits from several quality-oriented features, a big one being Jimmy Russell's insistence on low barreling proof.

Does that mean low proof of the still as well or do they cut with water prior to barrelling. I have the impression that that is a common practice.

Strayed wrote:The accountants would barrel it at 160 if they could get away with it. To their credit, the parent company (Pernod/Ricard) appears to favor Jimmy's position in such matters (same with the number of years WT ages)

Maybe they have realized that quality is something, which people are willing to pay for.

Thomas a little more enlightend
The Whiskey Viking

Return to Bourbon, Straight