Comments on Mike's review of Old Weller Antique

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on Mike's review of Old Weller Antique

Unread postby forumadmin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:46 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about Mike's review of Old Weller Antique;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:46 pm

Agreed 100% w/ your assessment of this vs. Maker's. I've been pointing all of my Maker's drinking friends towards various Weller's whiskeys and I've been rather successful at gaining converts, granted that's as much because of the price tag than anything. Still, I'm just happy to help expand people's horizons and this is one whiskey that really helps toward that end.
Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius. Bring me more whiskey and rye!
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby jbohan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:10 pm

I was going to review the Weller 107, which has become my daily pour, but I could not have said it any better than Mike did.
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Unread postby mubuck » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:13 pm

I agree with Mike's comparison with Makers. Was anxious to try after reading the review. I was not disappointed. One of my new favorites
mubuck

Unread postby Bourbon_Michael » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:29 pm

I agree with Mike. A clerk at the Cork N Bottle recommended this to me after I had picked up my very first bottle of Rowan's Creek. I am fairly new to the bourbon experience, but I do know what tastes good. This could very well be the finest under $20.00 bourbon out there. If you haven't tried it, you are really missing out on a fine, flavorful bourbon.
Nighttime is bourbon time. I wish that the nighttime could last for a lifetime.
Bourbon_Michael

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:54 pm

Those able to get it should buy the single barrel bottlings of this brand available currently at Cork & Bottle in Kentucky, I got mine at the Covington location. The two are from barrel no. 10 and barrel no. 11. They are just superb, rounded and fruity (black fruit like cherries or plums) despite the high proof. Apparently they are in fact 9 years old. There is no hint of earthy warehouse in them either, that "fresh loam" that some bottlings from the Buffalo Trace distillery have had.

The Buffalo Trace single barrel bottling also at this location (there is only one that I saw) is similarly good: this house knows how to pick them.

Someone I know, a bourbon neophyte, told me normally he wouldn't buy Old Weller 107 because of its low price. I had to laugh because when intip-top shape as these examples are it may be the best bourbon available today and its super low price is just an (atypical to be sure) bonus.

Maybe it's a sly form of humour at Trace, "ah we'll give 'em the best we have and just for fun charge very little for it". Whatever the explanation, it's great whiskey. It is like buying fine French Champagne for $10.00 per bottle instead of $50.00.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby ggilbertva » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:51 am

Gary,

You are so right. The Weller Antique at $15 a bottle has got to be the all around best value for what's in the bottle.
ggilbertva

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:21 am

Hey Gary, are you going to make it to Scorpipfest again this year?

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:53 am

Hi Gayle:

Thanks, I'd like to if possible, when will it be exactly?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:31 am

Gary, it will be November 17th this year.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:58 pm

Thanks, Gayle, at your place again?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:10 pm

Yes Gary. At my place. I've got some Four Roses 40th anniversary Jim Rutledge release you can try if you haven't had it.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:15 pm

Thanks Gayle. I will do my best to come, I had a great time last year. I will confirm hopefully soon, but I should be able to do it!

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby jbohan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:40 pm

I agree with everybody that says this is a great value and that you can convert MM fans to Weller. As I tell people, you can buy it for a lot less and it even tastes better. And you can usually find it in most liquor stores in Georgia despite most of the stores here having pretty crummy bourbon sections. (Sigman's in conyers execpted, right Mike ?)
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion