They're Making Whiskey at Mount Vernon

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

They're Making Whiskey at Mount Vernon

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:44 am

DISCUS (Distilled Spirits Council of the U.S.) likes to have an annual event, about this time of year, at the George Washington Distillery at Mount Vernon in Virginia. This week, whiskey was made for the first time in the reconstructed distillery that officially opened in March. Master Distillers from different DISCUS-member companies made the rye-mash spirit. They were Jimmy Russell of Wild Turkey; Joe Dangler of Virginia Gentleman; Ken Pierce of Very Old Barton; Gerry Webb of I.W. Harper and Dave Pickerell of Maker’s Mark.

I know everybody expect Gerry Webb. I'm not sure who he might be. I. W. Harper is a Diageo product, but it's made by Four Roses.

Although the whiskey has to age for a few years first, they intend to bottle and sell it in the Mount Vernon gift shop. This is good news because the whiskey made there in the past (in a makeshift still while the distillery itself was under construction) was sold at high prices for charitable fund-raising, so most whiskey enthusiasts never got close to it.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby brendaj » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:47 pm

I got close...but only long enough to snap this... :?
Attachments
webMtVernon.jpg
webMtVernon.jpg (130.24 KiB) Viewed 5330 times
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby Mark » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:35 pm

Ooohh, I'd buy me one of those! I'd love to give it a try
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:57 pm

The bottle in Brenda's picture is of whiskey that we (I helped) mixed up at Mount Vernon using whiskey supplied by all of the DISCUS members, i.e., it was a little Jim Beam, a little Barton, a little Maker's, etc.
Attachments
MVernon1 (Small).jpg
MVernon1 (Small).jpg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:59 pm

A little more information that I've learned since yesterday.

They didn't make much, maybe ten gallons.

Gerry Webb is Diageo's Master Distiller. He oversees their bourbon production as well as Smirnoff and their rums.

Harper is no longer made at Four Roses, although Bulleit (also Diageo) still is. Bourbon for Harper is being sourced from Barton and Brown-Forman.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Return to Bourbon Expeditions