Sazerac Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey - 18 Years Old

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Sazerac Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey - 18 Years Old

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:56 am

A trio of the SAZ just showed up in my small town ABC store. Not only that it's not even this year's release. It was bottled in 2002. How in the hell did this happen? In Virginia???

Oh well I'm glad it did, because this stuff is simply stunning! BIG Apples and Apricot top notes wail like a 50's doo-wop sax section. And I do mean WAIL! Man oh man what a big and fruity nose.

The flavor is striking with a sweetness that is unusual in rye. A kind of tart granny smith apple with some citrus undertones. I know it will sound weird, but its greatfruit! That's a frist for me, but trust me, it's true!

The finish is likewise freakish for a rye. It's sweet and not at all hot 'n' spicy. Not very long (which is also a surprise) and subtle! Most ryes are hot if not harsh on the finish. Not this SAZ.

ima very impressed!

Time to ditch this stinkin' Winston and pick out a real smoke! Hmmm something with a Cameroon wrapper.... :idea: Torano 1916 Corona :!:

:arrow: ima :love10: SAZ :love4:
Last edited by bunghole on Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bunghole

Unread postby Mark » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:12 am

Damn, that is a nice find Linn. Even though it is weird for them to get in a 2 year old release, after seeing how too many of these distributors work in my dealings with LeNell at her place I can understand it!

I absolutely loved the 03' release of Saz and glad to hear that the 02' was as good. (Side note here, but Chris, is what is open at your house the 02'?) How much $$ they hittin' you up for per bottle Linn?
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:21 am

ima got hit in da bunghole for $42!
bunghole

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:36 am

That's a great find Linn! I just finished my last bottle of '02. I'm half a bottle through my case of '03, which I've found to be a very worthy replacement. Haven't tried my '04 yet.
TrueBarrel

Unread postby Chris » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:49 pm

(Side note here, but Chris, is what is open at your house the 02'?)

Mine says 'bottled in summer of 2000' on it...
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mark » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:27 pm

Chris wrote:
(Side note here, but Chris, is what is open at your house the 02'?)

Mine says 'bottled in summer of 2000' on it...

Wow, didn't realise it was that old a one. I'll have to remember to give it a try next time we get together... I forgot how it was already compared next to the 03'...
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby dgonano » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:19 pm

I only had one Saz(fall 2001) and was reluctant to open until I purchased another bottle. Just did so a few weeks ago and darn, it was another fall 2001.
Dave G.
dgonano

Re: Sazerac Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey - 18 Years Old

Unread postby parshooter » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:17 pm

bunghole wrote:Time to ditch this stinkin' Winston and pick out a real smoke! Hmmm something with a Cameroon wrapper.... :idea: Torano 1916 Corona :!: [/size]

Why don't you ditch the Torano and pick out a real smoke :twisted: 8) :cigar:

I saw the Sazerac Rye when I was in KY in Sept. Didn't give it any thought, never had a rye bourbon (that I know of). How much different is it than a ER17 or Stagg :?:
parshooter

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:41 pm

parshooter wrote:
bunghole wrote:Time to ditch this stinkin' Winston and pick out a real smoke! Hmmm something with a Cameroon wrapper.... :idea: Torano 1916 Corona :!:

Why don't you ditch the Torano and pick out a real smoke :twisted: 8) :cigar:

I saw the Sazerac Rye when I was in KY in Sept. Didn't give it any thought, never had a rye bourbon (that I know of). How much different is it than a ER17 or Stagg :?:

OK Marc if you don't think Toranos are real smokes then send me some sticks that are.

Straight rye whiskey is different from bourbon in that it is at least 51% rye while bourbon is at least 51% corn. Stagg & Eagle Rare are both ryed bourbons in which rye is the flavor grain.

ima
bunghole

Unread postby parshooter » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:18 pm

bunghole wrote:
OK Marc if you don't think Toranos are real smokes then send me some sticks that are.

Straight rye whiskey is different from bourbon in that it is at least 51% rye while bourbon is at least 51% corn. Stagg & Eagle Rare are both ryed bourbons in which rye is the flavor grain.

ima

Too bad your address is not in your profile :twisted:

How much different is Sazarc than ER and Stagg :?:
parshooter

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:39 pm

OK! I just posted a tasting of the 2004 release of 'The Saz'!

:arrow: ima :drunken:
bunghole

Unread postby White Lightning » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:29 pm

I understand there will be a younger Sazerac Rye on the market shortly (supposedly just waiting on the glassware to house it). Can anyone else confirm that?
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby Mark » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:32 pm

White Lightning wrote:I understand there will be a younger Sazerac Rye on the market shortly (supposedly just waiting on the glassware to house it). Can anyone else confirm that?

Hmmm, I tried finding out and only got "Where did you hear that?" :lol: So I said don't say anything else if it will get you in trouble and never heard anything else... I guess maybe we can take that as a possible "Yes"?
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby White Lightning » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:35 am

Mark wrote:Hmmm, I tried finding out and only got "Where did you hear that?" :lol: So I said don't say anything else if it will get you in trouble and never heard anything else... I guess maybe we can take that as a possible "Yes"?

LOL - I can only imagine who it was you inquired with. Hopefully thier not combing the distillery looking for my secret steam leak located behind... the ummm...

Anyway it was just a rumor - something like a 10 year old version would arrive shortly. Figured if anyone knew or heard, it would one of you enthusiasts.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby TNbourbon » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:45 pm

Here's what I figure about a new Sazerac:
  • They will use a bottle made in Germany, for which they will wait a while for delivery;
  • The rye will be a little over 6 years old, but with an impressive flavor;
  • Expect an announcement soon, and a July 1 date for either bottling or release.

That's what my crystal ball tells me. :idea:
Just a guess, you understand.
TNbourbon

Next

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey