Bourbonnaised Filet Mignon

Cookin' in the kitchen with bourbon & Brenda! Come on in and view her recipes or share with us some of your own.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby Brendi » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:25 am

This recipe is from David Domine'. He's the food writer for Kentucky Monthly, and this one comes from the May issue. FWIW, Mr. Domine' has also written a couple of books about ghosts in Old Louisville...he says its America's Most Haunted Neighborhood... :P

6 4oz. filet mignon
1 cup Kentucky Bourbon
1 tblsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tblsp. butter
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tbls. light brown sugar
1 tbls. brown mustard
1/2 cup heavy cream

Place filets in a shallow glass dish and pour the Bourbon mixed with the lemon juice over them. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours, turning each filet over to ensure an even marinade.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the filets from the refrigerator and pat dry with a paper towel. Season each side with salt and rub with brown sugar.
When the butter sizzles, place the meat in the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Remove the steaks to a plate and cover to keep warm. Turn the heat on the skillet to high and add the leftover Bourbon marinade. Whern it begins to boil, whisk in the mustard and heavy cream. Reduce the sauce by half. Spoon over filets to serve.

(Kentucky Monthly has a bunch of great recipes. Check out the Pumpkin Praline Bourbon Cheesecake with Ginger Snap Crust - http://www.kentuckymonthly.com/cooking.html)
Uncle Fred fell in a whiskey vat last week. Some men tried to pull him out, but he fought them off playfully and drowned. We had him cremated and he burned for three days...
Brendi

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:17 am

How come it does not suprise me that Brendi posted a recipe with Filet as the main ingredient? She does have expensive taste, that Brendi - but the recipe sounds wonderfull.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Brendi » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:49 pm

Well...that dumass brendaj is password-challenged again... :roll: (I'm away from home, on the laptop. Apparently I haven't logged on using my laptop since I changed my password. And naturally, I've forgotten what I changed it to...)

So, brendi gets to come out and play briefly. However, you're exactly right...brendaj can't afford to hang around with me too often, my tastes are far too expensive... :lol:

Brendaj has work to do anyway. I want her in the kitchen working on reverse engineering that wonderful Crème Brûlée that was served in those too-cute little individual pâte à choux cups at Mr. Farnsley's cocktail party the other night. It was catered by the Cafe at Brown-Forman. I'm thinking...add a splash of Bourbon...
Uncle Fred fell in a whiskey vat last week. Some men tried to pull him out, but he fought them off playfully and drowned. We had him cremated and he burned for three days...
Brendi

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:57 pm

Sorry Brendi, The server also worked for the Brown-Forman Cafe, but the catering was done by LePeche, which is owned by Buddy Thompson's niece. LePeche is very popular for catering such events.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Brendi » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:52 pm

Oh, I'm sorry. Actually, that explains much... :wink:
I would love the recipe, but truthfully, its just a matter of putting a couple of things together that I hadn't thought of before. I've tried crème brûlée in Filo, and it wasn't bad. But I really loved the egginess (?) and the melt-in-your-mouth texture of the pâte à choux.
Brendi

Return to Bourbon Recipes