Ranking some BT products

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby Mark » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:46 pm

Ok, I checked and it wasn't in the closet so I dug it out... It was barreled in 1974 and bottled in 1991. Here's some pics:
Attachments
VW17Bottle.JPG
VW17Bottle.JPG (129.45 KiB) Viewed 8339 times
VW17Label.JPG
VW17Label.JPG (188.06 KiB) Viewed 8339 times
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:59 pm

Brewer wrote:I can't wait for a day where I can sample a group of BT bottles, so I can chime in on my comparisons.

Come on down to VA, Bob! Our bar is open! Let's do a shoot out!

I definitely enjoy everything noted thus far, although I don't believe I've ever had Benchmark or AA.

Give me a heads up, and I'll pick some up!

Really, I can't believe how much of our bourbon just happens to be BT stuff. After reviewing this thread, I went to examine our bar for BT products open or ready to open. All of these are considered available for Enthusiast consumption, by the way, should one stop by!
Attachments
bt3.jpg
bt3.jpg (126.02 KiB) Viewed 8330 times
bt2.jpg
bt2.jpg (126.83 KiB) Viewed 8330 times
bt1.jpg
bt1.jpg (135.21 KiB) Viewed 8330 times
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Mark » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:12 pm

Rock Hill Farms is one (of quite a few) single barrels I like a real lot. In fact it ranks up in the top 5, beating out the 'infamous' WT KY Spirit enjoyed by many.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:50 pm

I haven't had that many BT products so far. If I had to rate them this would be my list:

1. Stagg 02 (still need to try the other two)
2. Eagle Rare 17YO
3. Sazerac 18YO
4. Eagle Rare 10YO SB
5. Blanton’s Gold
6. Buffalo Trace (I have only had this once so far and wasn’t that thrilled)

Now if we consider Julian’s products to be part of the BT line, this would be my list

1. Stagg 02 and Pappy 20YO – that has to be a tie – each in it’s own right the best I’ve had
2. Eagle Rare 17YO
3. Sazerac 18YO
4. Van Winkle Old Time Rye 12YO
5. Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13YO
6. Eagle Rare 10YO SB
7. Blanton’s Gold
8. Buffalo Trace

Thomas – keep the bourbon flowing
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:50 pm

doubleblank wrote:Tim....it was the 17yo intended for the Japanese market....bottled in '94. Still unopened.....but it may be soon. Bourbon's for drinkin.

Randy

I'm clueless as to the year bottled, but it has to be the very best wheated bourbon I have ever had the pleasure to drink. Hell, in a blind shoot out with my favorites it might just be the very best bourbon on the planet. It's that damn good.

:arrow: ima :drink:
bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:05 pm

Brewer wrote:Linn,

I know you're a big fan of Virginia Gentleman's "The Fox". As this is now part of the BT group, I'm curious where you'd rate it in the overall mix.

I definitely enjoy everything noted thus far, although I don't believe I've ever had Benchmark or AA.

Good question, Bob. I still think of Virginia Gentleman as A. Smith Bowman and not Buffalo Trace, but it has been BT's version of the Stitzel-Weller recipe that Bowman has been redistilling all along. I am very biased in favor of the Fox. I just love the stuff! I'd say it would kick Buffalo Trace out of 6th place. :shock:

As far as Benchmark or AA goes, don't bother.

:arrow: ima :cabbage:
bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:40 pm

angelshare wrote:Have you had any of the Old Rip Van Winkles? ORVW 10 year 107 is Tina's favorite bourbon to date. We have set aside a 15 year to try for the first time after Tina's delivery in January. We, on the other hand, have never had the Pappy 15, 20 or 23. BTW, did you notice that VA ABC carries Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year now? On sale in December for $31 I think.

Yes Dave I saw that, but I only have a class 'B' ABC store so I'd have order it. $31 is a little spendy, and I've been drinking the hell out of the Fox since it is also on sale. I've also been trying to stock up on Evan Williams Single Barrel '94 since that is also on sale and soon to be gone.

Let's see I've managed to give away $100 in cigars to my friends for Christmas. There's a $10 off card from JR's I need to use. I'm running low on H. Upmann '96 Connoisseur #30's that I love. BANG! $80

Then Stoopsie and I are going to Woodford Reserve on Jan 21st. CHARGE! Of course there will be some bourbon buying. I'm going to try and restrain myself, and only pick up a few cases. I hate to charge bourbon as it is always gone before it's paid for, but if I'm going to drive 495 miles to Kentucky then I'm going to take advantage of it.

:arrow: ima :snowman:
bunghole

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:11 pm

angelshare wrote:Come on down to VA, Bob! Our bar is open! Let's do a shoot out!

Really, I can't believe how much of our bourbon just happens to be BT stuff. After reviewing this thread, I went to examine our bar for BT products open or ready to open. All of these are considered available for Enthusiast consumption, by the way, should one stop by!

Dave,

The car's packed, Nancy & I are on our way! :lol: Yeah, I wish! But one of these days, we'll be on your doorstep, with a dangerous thirst. You've got a nice BT collection there, and I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind stopping by. Hey Guys! Party at Dave & Tina's house! :cheers: Seriously though, it is very remarkable how much BT winds up in my house also. Can't have enough, especially with winter comin' on. Wouldn't want to be snowed in, without any BT! :wink:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:40 am

After a grueling 13 &1/2 hour graveyard shift I'm polishing off the last of a bottle of Elmer T. Lee. Such a great bourbon. I really need to post some tasting notes, but that'll have to wait until next time.

Shit! I have to be back at work in less than eight hours. Somebody shoot me....PLEASE!
bunghole

Previous

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings