Egg Nog and Pappy 20yo

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Egg Nog and Pappy 20yo

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:42 am

While I know of only one person who will admit to using 20yo pappy in Egg Nog, I do tend to use a good bourbon such as Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond or Old Forester 100 proof when making the party Egg Nog. A better bourbon makes a better drink. what do you use for the holiday classic?
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:30 pm

Contemplations for this holiday season (not yet tried):

1) Guilt free egg nog: AAA ($10/750ml in VA)

2) Slightly guilty egg nog: VOB BIB (cheap, except for the 200 mile drive to get it!)

3) Guilty egg nog: OFBB 03 Spring ($36 in VA, plus limited supply)

4) VERY guilty egg nog: Randy Blank's Van Winkle 12 year: so much nutmeg flavor, it's gotta be good!

5) Fantasy egg nog: Stagg 04 - don't you just wonder if that would be the best egg nog in history?

I hadn't thought about Old Fitzgerald BIB; I have one bottle on hand. It's easier to get than Barton, but still a 2 hour drive. I might try it though!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:20 pm

I went to a Christmas party last weekend where the host was proud of having made his egg nog from scratch. The recipe he used was allegedly one with a George Washington connection. It called for sherry, brandy and rye whiskey. I forget the sherry he used, but he used Presidente brandy and Jim Beam rye. It was pretty good.

I had one glass of the egg nog, then finished the rye.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:32 am

Chuck,
When I was at U.D. I went down to the Christmas party at the Getz Museum one year. Flaget and Mary asked me to bring something for the egg nog and the only thing I had handy was the Dickel 10yo from the Heritage collection, so I took that. Mary complained that it was too good to be putting in egg nog, but did so anyway and it was very good. They also made some Tom and Jerry's but they used Very Old Barton for that. It was a good party.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight