New Packaging for Gentleman Jack

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

New Packaging for Gentleman Jack

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:15 pm

Have any of you seen the new bottle for Gentleman Jack? It is more of a flask style bottle than the old bar decanter look of the previous packaging. I personally think they made a mistake - I prefer the look of the old bar decanter with a cut glass, multi-facet shape.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mark » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:28 pm

No Mike, I havent seen it yet but hold onto an old one or two. The old-old bottles had very long necks on them compared to the more stubby ones of nowadays, err well yesterday, and they were fetching a pretty penny on eBay not too long ago.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby EllenJ » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:44 pm

It's refreshing to read something good about Gentleman Jack from you, of all people, Mike. :hello2:
Even if it IS about package they USED to have! :roll:
What'll be next? Linn's endorsement of Maker's Mark? :rofl2:

The new bottle reminds me of Woodford Reserve.
Hmmm, I wonder if Brown-Forman figured out a new way to get rid of... uh, I mean, utilize some of that 2002 Versailles product that mysteriously appears to have vanished in toto from the Woodford warehouse? :think:
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Hey!!

Unread postby Stoopsie » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:38 pm

Hey!! This is the product that got me interested in American Whiskey.

I like the new bottle and the product inside. I liked it so much I bought the compan..., No, a 1.75. It looks really nice in the liquor cabinet next to a couple of my Old friends. The only thing I don't like on the packaging is the label. It looks metallic from a distance, like the old Hancock Reserve metallic label, that you could cut yourself on, but it is just a paper stick on. Really dissapointing.
Attachments
Gentleman Jack.JPG
Gentleman Jack.JPG (224.59 KiB) Viewed 10684 times
Howie

Some people see the glass as half full, some see half empty, but I prefer to drink straight from the bottle.
Stoopsie

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:29 pm

Now John,
I never say anything bad about Gentleman Jack - Oh wait I guess "Brown Vodka" is not the best thing to say, is it. I still liked the old packaging better on the Brow- er Gentleman Jack.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:57 pm

bourbonv wrote:Now John,
I never say anything bad about Gentleman Jack - Oh wait I guess "Brown Vodka" is not the best thing to say, is it. I still liked the old packaging better on the Brow- er Gentleman Jack.

Mike, not that I have an opinion about GJ, but in all whiskeydom, insofaras I know about it, for the money, GJ is the biggest ripoff going.

Without judging anyone, it is aimed at people who have little knowledge of whiskey, but who know the name Jack Daniels. My contempt is not for people who may drink GJ, but for those who make and market it.

But, if everyone in this picture, aside from a few of us, is happy with the outcome, who am I to complain?

So long as I can find, be friends with, and discuss whiskey with people who see through the marketing hype and have tried the range of whiskies available, I am satisfied.

It is not really incumbent upon those of us who 'love' whiskey to convert anyone who is content with GJ. It is, however, in our interest to participate in BE and like sites so that we can let our 'master distillers' know that we appreciate their products and hope they can continue to resist the corrosive effects of the accountants and marketeers, even if they are a necessary part of the equation.

They should NEVER be in the position of making crucial decisions on the quality of products. This is completely outside their area of expertise, and it is simply the height of arrogance for them to be so involved.

I know that business decisions are often made irrespective of quality, but in a democracy, political or commercial, one must find a way to voice an 'informed' opinion, hoping that a reasonable balance between 'quality' and 'popularity' can be achieved.

One of the greatest strengths of our country is that this can still happen here...........if we choose badly for a time, we can come back later and rectify the situation.

Qualtiy, in whatever realm, is still appreciated by a significant portion of Americans........may it be so for a long time to come.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby EllenJ » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:30 pm

Mike wrote:...if we choose badly for a time, we can come back later and rectify the situation.
(emphasis is mine)

Way-uhl, Mike... That might not have been quite the best choice of words for this venue, don'tcha know. :wink:

By the way, for whatever it's worth (remember, I didn't come here because of what a great expert taster I think I am), I happen to like Gentleman Jack. I think it does a great job of capturing the essence of Jack Daniel's and the Lincoln Process without all the Kay-Wrap. The smokiness is there, and the corn. There is a sub-group of whiskey enthusiasts whose perceptual limits appear to lie outside of the area we might call "subtle". For example, in a discussion of precision firearms, such people would tend to favor "8-gauge".

Unfortunately, some of my best whiskey friends fall into that category.

Fortunately, my best whiskey friends are also some of my best friends, period, no matter whether I agree with them or whether they think I'm a wuss because I accept GJ (and Basil Hayden, for that matter) as legitimate expressions of American whiskey.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:36 pm

John,
I think you are talking about me again. I have no real problem with Gentleman Jack or Basil Hayden. There are no offensive flavors and if you like banana in your whiskey, Gentleman Jack has it in excess. I don't care for them because their flavor is more .410 than 12 guage. Still, Basil Hayden does make a nice tropical punch...
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:26 pm

Out of curiosity I purchased a 50 ml bottle of GJ for $4.27. The 750 ml bottle sells for $25.99 in these parts and I was not that curious. I admit, John, that I almost always prefer whiskies that are more than 80 proof, they just seem to have more flavor to me.

As to the GJ, I did not even finish the 50 ml and will not do a review. It simply does not suit my palate, which as you know, is to say nothing about your palate, John.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:29 pm

The official picture of the new package.
Attachments
Gent Jack Bottle.jpg
Gent Jack Bottle.jpg (44.82 KiB) Viewed 10545 times
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Re: New Packaging for Gentleman Jack

Unread postby azoth_melusina » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:16 pm

old thread resurrection...but couldn't find any other info here about the older GJ bottlings/bottles.

anyways, i know batches differ...is there much of a difference in older GJ bottlings than in the new? i am sure the process is the same...and i admit, i am no JD fan...but i have enjoyed the 90 proof versions and the one GJ bottle i had...light stuff for sure, but tasty and simply enjoyable. a sort of rough-lite liqueur... :geek:

nonetheless, i know where a last bottle remains....a good bit of dust on it...way up high on a shelf behind the counter at a dumpy package store in delaware...looking lonely...and costing around $16 for a 375ml bottle....and has a cork i noticed....

worth it? don't really care about the bottle so much...are the contents going to be much different? i assume...not
"Whiskey is by far the most popular of all remedies that won't cure a cold." Jerry Vale
azoth_melusina

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey