Wild Turkey Tribute

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

The perfect time for Tribute

Unread postby Dane » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:52 am

Dave and Tina,
As Tribute is in effect a celebration of the fifty years of life that Jimmy has put into his craft, I can think of no better occasion for opening it than as the first pour the two of you enjoy after the coming blessed event. I know you're saving all those bottlings you mention to be able to enjoy them for the first time together when it is safe for both of you to do so. Why not start off with your most prized? And just think, you can have the bottle pressed into the baby book...Have you thought if a boy to name him James Russell?

And on the signed bottle note, that is why I had Jimmy sign a bottle of Russell's Reserve for me. It is much easier to replace.
Dane

Unread postby angelshare » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:12 am

An excellent thought, Dane, but Tina is the boss in this situation (and most others), and I think she is leaning toward an ORVW 15 yr celebratory toast. Also, James Russell is out, as Tina had already settled on William Alden. William Alden became Jennifer Nell five years ago and Claire Elizabeth three years ago. We'll see this time!

That was a smart move on the Russell's Reserve signature. Even so, the way things evolved, with my just happening to have a bottle of Tribute and Jimmy Russell just happening to come by, I bet I would have asked him to sign it anyway!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby tlsmothers » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:01 am

Jimmy's visit was a smashing success. We had a blast with him. Just a tidbit of info he mentioned on the Tribute. Although the packaging says 5500 bottles made, he says only 5000 actually got bottled. He said that the print materials were actually done before bottling took place.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby angelshare » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:14 pm

tlsmothers wrote:Jimmy's visit was a smashing success. We had a blast with him.

Well, despite what I'm sure was a VERY busy evening, LeNell went to the trouble of having Jimmy Russell sign a bottle for us. THANK YOU so much for your thoughtfulness, LeNell! But...

Now we have a new dilemma. Which to open? The one that just says "Jimmy Russell Master Distiller 2004" is the one we asked him to sign personally. The one LeNell had him sign, however, says "To Dave and Tina" and has a specific date (11/7/04). What would you guys do? Even if you say "drink both," which would you want to admire on your shelf the longest?

Tina says we should open the personalized bottle because it will look so cool on the bar. I can see it now: "Oh, yes," we'll say when an Enthusiast drops by, "that's a signed bottle of Tribute to us from Jimmy Russell. Would you like some?"

I'm still undecided though.
Attachments
wttribute.jpg
wttribute.jpg (93.77 KiB) Viewed 11493 times
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby dgonano » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:34 pm

Dave and Tina,

Looks like you need a third bottle, unsigned.
Dave G.
dgonano

Unread postby angelshare » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:47 pm

dgonano wrote:Dave and Tina,

Looks like you need a third bottle, unsigned.

And a home equity line to support our bourbon habit! :lol:
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:25 am

That's a tough call! Maybe Mark or one of the collectors could chime in here: would a bottle that has somebody's name on it be collectible to someone else, or is it just a sentimental bottle at that point? I think if forced to choose I'd drink the "To: Dave & Tina" bottle, for that reason only.
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby Brewer » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:20 am

Dave & Tina,

I think Dave G's on the money...get a 3rd bottle. Otherwise, if you would ever consider selling a bottle, then I'd agree with Gary...open the personalized bottle. If you wouldn't consider selling one, then I'd open the one that has Jimmy's signature and keep the personalized one for later enjoyment.

Such problems you got there Dave! :lol:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby doubleblank » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:55 am

If you want that third bottle.....they're $74 tax incl here in Houston and I'll get you one. I've put several in the bunker as I realy enjoy the dark cherry flavors in this bourbon.

Randy
doubleblank

Unread postby Mark » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:51 pm

Yeah, choosing between those I'd drink the "To Dave and Tina" one but buying a 3rd is the best bet! :lol:

Actually, if you wanted to sell them both and would be worried about it not fetching as much for the one made up particularly for you since your names are on it, that is nothing a paper towel and a drop or two of rubbing alcohol couldn't fix... It would still say Jimmy Russel, Master Distiller and have the date.

As for personalized ones not fetching as much as jsut signed ones but not personalized, I guess it depends on what the product is... I have seen old Stitzel Weller stuff sell for quite a bit even with peoples names not jsut on the botle but with stickers on the bottle with their names on it. If someone wants something bad enough I guess they don't care what is really written on there.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:33 am

Brewer wrote:Dave & Tina,

I think Dave G's on the money...get a 3rd bottle. Otherwise, if you would ever consider selling a bottle, then I'd agree with Gary...open the personalized bottle. If you wouldn't consider selling one, then I'd open the one that has Jimmy's signature and keep the personalized one for later enjoyment.

Barring a personal financial disaster, it's hard to imagine parting with either of these at any price, so it's more a matter of deciding which one to enjoy on the shelf the longest.

As for a third bottle...$82 + tax is the most we've ever spent on any whiskey, and it was for our first bottle of Tribute. Our bourbon budget typically does not accommodate multiple bottles of the same $80 bourbon, so Tribute is an outlier in our house already. Plus, there are several bourbons in the same high end range which have never been represented here: Hirsch, Pappy 15, and Pappy 20 are three that come to mind quickly. Before buying more Tribute, we probably should consider trying to acquire one of those. Of course, Tribute is limited...decisions, decisions!

Such problems you got there Dave! :lol:

Touche! :lol:
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby CgarSmoker » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:39 pm

I'm going to a Christmas Party tomorrow at my local cigar store. One of the owner's is bringing a bottle of the Tribute to the party.
As I posted before, my first taste of this just didn't do it for me. I can't remember why, but it's quite possible my tastebuds were too far gone to get it. Soooo, here's my second chance get a "first" impression. :wink:

An interesting a side note, the person who is bringing the Tribute did not care for the Eagle Rare 17 I brought in to the shop to try. It sounds like he loves the tribute like I love ER17. Like anything, it may just come down to individual perference.

I'll report back with my findings soon.
CgarSmoker

Unread postby CgarSmoker » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:04 pm

Ok. So I was partially wrong.

I was wrong in that I really do like the Tribute. This bourbon had an amazing depth of flavors that I've not yet tasted in other bourbons. I would describe it as almost being layered (like the dinner gum from Willy Wonka). Each sip started very smooth with touches of vanilla/honey/citrus sweetness, then a long creamy, slightly oak finish. Yum! I'm just glad I didn't turn into a blueberry or oak barrel or something :)

Where I still feel conflicted is on the price. For me, the $100 (in CA) price tag would push me to where I could not justify this Versus 2 or more bottles of the ER17, GT Stagg, Saz or a bottle of Pappy 20 with some change left over. If $$ were no object, or if it were ~$35-40 less, I would absolutely buy a bottle. Just my .02

Synopsis: Very good, but pricey.
CgarSmoker

Previous

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings