Dogfish Head - 120 Minute IPA

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

Dogfish Head - 120 Minute IPA

Unread postby moyergeo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:58 pm

Hi everyone!
This is my first post on these forums though I've been looking at this website for a couple years now - I've appreciated everyone's bourbon reviews, they've helped me avoid some "bourbon" and find a few special bottles along the way.

Right now I'm about halfway through a bottle of Dogfish Head - 120 Minute IPA, bought it in a mixed six-pack with 5 other beers so couldn't tell you its price. But I can tell you this - it's delicious, and one is enough for an evening. It's 20% abv, and loaded with hops. Apparently, the beer was boiled for 2 hours being continually hopped, then daily dry-hopped for a month, and aged for another month "on whole-leaf hops", whatever that last part means.

It went well with butternut squash ravioli, I don't know what that means generally for food pairings. Does anybody know if there are general food pairings for hoppy beers?
moyergeo

Re: Dogfish Head - 120 Minute IPA

Unread postby Mike » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:36 am

moyergeo wrote: Does anybody know if there are general food pairings for hoppy beers?

I can only tell you my own 'pairings' for highly hopped beers. I like them with salami sandwiches, sausages of all kinds, and with oysters.

I also like these foods with the stouts which have lots of roasted barley. Stouts have their own kind of bitterness. I find too, that stouts and porters pair well with beef, especially a thick steak .

I have not tried hoppy beers with Italian food other than sausages, I will have to do so on your recommendation.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to What Ales You