Cho Cho Chocolate Porter Homebrew

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

Cho Cho Chocolate Porter Homebrew

Unread postby Mike » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:11 pm

My brewing buddies and I made a Chocolate Porter (using real chocolate powder) just before Christmas. It was a partial mash (meaning we used grains as one of the sources for fermentable sugars) which takes a lot more time and effort. But we had a swallow or two of beer whilst we were aworking and by the time we were finished, we were singing a happy tune.

I am not given to bragging more than a time or two a week (unlike lying, which I engage in several times a day........I think it helps my digestion), but it is a damn tasty beer. I trotted out a bottle for the first time today...........it has been 'curing' in the bottle now for about 5 weeks and has developed a nice head. The chocolate adds some depth and plays off the hops rather nicely. I like this rat cheer beer and look forward to having it with a thick and juicy steak.

The brewing buddies say we gone barbeque a half a hog in April to go with this beer. I ain't gone tell them no different, but this beer is a beefy beer, not a piggy beer.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:52 pm

Sounds like a good brew Mike. Also, using a partial mash, as you did in this batch, is well worth the extra effort. It seems to add a great deal to the flavor and the body of the brew. I bet it'll be even better in another 5 weeks. Try not to drink it all up at one time! :wink:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mike » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:58 pm

Brewer wrote:Sounds like a good brew Mike. Also, using a partial mash, as you did in this batch, is well worth the extra effort. It seems to add a great deal to the flavor and the body of the brew. I bet it'll be even better in another 5 weeks. Try not to drink it all up at one time! :wink:

This has turned out to be very good beer indeed. The serveral people who have sampled it were surprised that I could make something so good with the ingredients I told them I used. I told them it has some 'denatured' horse shit which is known to give a little extra kick.

Come on over, Brewer, and me and you will throw back a couple and marvel at my brewing skills.
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:15 pm

Mike wrote:Come on over, Brewer, and me and you will throw back a couple and marvel at my brewing skills.

Mike,

I'll be right over...just get the BBQ going, we'll do some brews, some bourbons, sing some songs, go to the vet, write some reviews...
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:57 pm

I've made quite a few chocolate porters and stouts over the years... My best suggestion for anyone interested is to add some vanilla (extract or whole bean) to bring out the chocolate flavors. It's in chocolate cake, so why not chocolate beer? For simply increasing the richness of a chocolate beer (as opposed to making a vanilla beer) I just use about five tablespoons of extract at bottling time. It adds just a hint of vanilla but makes it so the chocolate really pops out. You can even try just adding a quarter or a half teaspoon to a glass of your finished beer.
Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius. Bring me more whiskey and rye!
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:52 pm

LogicalFrank wrote:I've made quite a few chocolate porters and stouts over the years... My best suggestion for anyone interested is to add some vanilla (extract or whole bean) to bring out the chocolate flavors. It's in chocolate cake, so why not chocolate beer? For simply increasing the richness of a chocolate beer (as opposed to making a vanilla beer) I just use about five tablespoons of extract at bottling time. It adds just a hint of vanilla but makes it so the chocolate really pops out. You can even try just adding a quarter or a half teaspoon to a glass of your finished beer.

I have had beer with vanilla flavor before and liked it. I think it was from Terrapin Brewing out of Athens, GA. I just may slip a spot in one of my porters and see how do I like it.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:00 pm

Last weekend we had a barbeque on my uncle's farm. We had about 30 people and I cooked about 35 lbs of ribbys. We drank some of our chocolate porter and all who had it were kind enough to say how wonderful and flavorful it is.

It being our offspring, my brewing buddies and I naturally took many bows and repeated our stock phrase........'Shucks folks, twarn't nothing, next year we gone try it without the Horse Shit'.

The ladies giggled and the men smiled and everybody kept on eating and drinking!

My two sons were there. one from Ft Hood and the other from San Diego, so I was as happy pig in pants!
Mike

Return to What Ales You