Bourbon Shareholders

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon Shareholders

Unread postby Dave » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:20 pm

Reading Mark's recent press release post about Brown Forman got me to thinking... Any of you bourbon-lovers take it so seriously to own stock in distillery (spirit etc.) parent companies like BF, Diageo, etc. ?
Dave

Unread postby Mark » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:35 pm

:idea: Good question Dave. I had never considered buying stockin them and after seeing some prices mentioned it may be out of my grasp :lol: I'll have to research just for the heck of it and see what the price per share is of many of the companies/parent companies that produce many of the products we enjoy daily.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:09 am

I know there are certain Beer distilleries here in Denmark who will give each shareholder a case of beer, once a year as a dividend.
Wouldn't it be nice to get a case of Stagg once a year :lol:
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby Dane » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:09 pm

Not sure about stockholders, but I'm told employees of Anheuser Busch get a periodic alotment of free beer. Not exactly sure how much or how often but a close friend switched from drinking Miller to AB because she was forwarded a friend's alotment on a regular basis. Will look into it more if anyone is interested.
Dane

Unread postby Mark » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:14 pm

Dane wrote:Not sure about stockholders, but I'm told employees of Anheuser Busch get a periodic alotment of free beer. Not exactly sure how much or how often but a close friend switched from drinking Miller to AB because she was forwarded a friend's alotment on a regular basis. Will look into it more if anyone is interested.

I forgot the exact alotment as well Dane but I sure do remember an employee telling me the same thing while on the tour at their plant in Fairfield California just a few months back... She said how she ends up giving some to friends as well so I wonder if it is quite a bit or she jsut didn't like the stuff :lol:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Strayed » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:21 am

We have shares of
    Jim Beam (Fortune Brands - FO)

Four Roses (Kirin - KNBWY)

Maker's Mark (Allied Domecq PLC - AED)

plus both Barton (Constellation - STZ)
    and Brown-Forman (BFb), which did give us an interesting perspective on the WOODford/RidgeWOOD wars :D

We also get lovely shareholders' reports and discounts on such non-bourbon things as Lennox china

AFAIK, Heaven Hill and Sazerac are privately owned, and there are several flavors of Pernod-Ricard (Wild Turkey), some of which are private and others just way too expensive.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:41 pm

If you take the time to check out Brown-Forman's chart and fundamentals, you'll find that they quietly split two-for-one in 2003 and then steadily climbed 100% in 2004. They pay damn near a buck a share in dividends. All this while the market has been stuck in a fairly neutral trading range. Low risk with a high return. How many of you doubled your money last year and got good solid dividends to boot?? Brown-Forman knows how to make money along with some pretty good whiskey! The Brown family owns about 70% of the stock. I wish I owned the other 30%. :wink: Ahhh Yezzz the Brown-bunghole Corp. :shock: It does have a ring to it! :roll: :lol:

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby Strayed » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:55 am

Yes, it is a very nice stock to own, although mostly I do try to avoid things with a brown ring to them. :roll:
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby westsideelectric » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:28 pm

No stock, but I've always wanted to go in on a barrel of single malt some day. Several distilleries have offered the service in the past, including Springbank. They'll also store/age/bottle it for you.
westsideelectric

Unread postby wade » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:18 pm

I own a mutual fund that invests in Alcohol, Gambling, and Tobacco; the Vice fund; http://www.vicefund.com/ Ticker is VICEX. 1 year return is up 23%. It owns some Brown Forman as well as Fortune Brands.

I purchased this through a Scottrade account.
wade

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:15 am

wade wrote:I own a mutual fund that invests in Alcohol, Gambling, and Tobacco; the Vice fund; http://www.vicefund.com/ Ticker is VICEX. 1 year return is up 23%. It owns some Brown Forman as well as Fortune Brands.

I purchased this through a Scottrade account.

Great first post there, wade! Welcome to Bourbon Enthusiast! You're gonna like it here!

I've never heard of the Vice Fund before. Thanks for posting the link. I'm going to check it out. They should pay great dividends as well as good solid capital returns in both bull & bear markets.

:arrow: imaneedsdividends :cabbage:
bunghole

Return to Bourbon, Straight