Comments on Mike's review of W L Weller 12 year old

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on Mike's review of W L Weller 12 year old

Unread postby forumadmin » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:40 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about Mike's review of W L Weller 12 year old;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:40 am

Good review Frank. I generally prefer, like Mike from Conyers, Georgia, the Weller 107 proof which is aged 7 years. But as he said too, bottlings can change (of any brand), and I'll have to revisit the Weller 12 soon.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:34 pm

I like the seven year Weller Antique too but I find it's a little more rough which detracts from it a bit in my book. I'd love to see a ten or twelve year version at the same strength as the Antique. I've yet to try the Centennial though and I have a feeling that will be right up my alley.
Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius. Bring me more whiskey and rye!
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby Mike » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:38 pm

Well LogicalFrank, illogical Mike welcomes you to BE. I like your reviews and am in agreement with them for the most part.

I do believe I must find another bottle of the 12 YO Weller, cause I just can't believe what I have had is as good as it gets. 'My' liquor store doesn't have any in stock right now, nor do they have any of the Antique or I would have purchased them.

Palates, like bourbons, are quite variable and it may be that the 12 YO just doesn't suit me for whatever odd ball reason. But it won a round of Joe Bourbon's tastings so that is reason enough to suppose that my current bottle is a bit off.

During the Super Bowl I sipped on my Wellers, the 7 YO SR, the 12 YO, and the 10 YO Centennial. My taste perference by far was for the Centennial, it is just plain excellent bourbon in my opinion, so give it a go and let us know what you think!
Last edited by Mike on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:50 pm

ima had some of this some years ago in the Buffalo Trace dumping shed uncut and unfiltered straight out of a gushing bunghole. Marvin Franz and John Lipman were both there as were Chuck Cowdery and Mike Veach.

I thought the bourbon was much better than most wheaters and it had a very pronounced coconut nose and flavor that you don't find in the filtered and diluted bottling. The coconut is very obviously a fusil oil that is prominent straight from the barrel that disipates with chill filtering and dilution.
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:04 am

By golly, bunghole, I was a searching and searching for that aroma in the Centennial that I couldn't name. I got the wheat, the nuts, the cinnamon and apple, and as I sit here this very moment, it is COCONUT that is tickling my nostrils.

This is a Red Letter day for me, an aroma that I had never been able to name before in this bourbon now leaps out at me.

By golly, bunghole, you nailed it and it is not gone!! If you would like, I will send you a 50 ml bottle from my bottle for you to see for yourself.

I must be a frigging 'BOURBON ENTHUSIAST' to get worked up over something like this!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:14 pm

I noticed that even in the 12 Year. I normally call that coconut smell just simply "nutty." (Perhaps other people think of nutty as being something different.) I think the flavor must be a result of some kind of oxidation. Outside of whiskey, I notice it in some sherry and a lot of barrel aged beers. I don't recall it in the Antique but I'll try to look for it in the next time I sample that one.
Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius. Bring me more whiskey and rye!
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:06 pm

Mike wrote:By golly, bunghole, you nailed it and it is not gone!!

I must be a frigging 'BOURBON ENTHUSIAST' to get worked up over something like this!

ima glad to hear that the coconut is still discernable in W.L. Weller bottlings.

Although I no longer post tastings, I was quite good at it years ago.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion