Damn, thats a good combination!

Fire one up and talk about your favorite smokes here.

Moderator: Squire

Damn, thats a good combination!

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Phil (daisy3d) does repair work on pipes and worked on one of my old ones that needed a new stem. He also sent me some pipe tobaccos to try. I found one of them that was perfect with some Weller 12 yo.

As I posted elsewhere, when the weather gets cold, I like a real nice, caramel rich bourbon like Old Fitzgerald 1849 or Centennial to drink. It warms me nicely on a cold night. Well Phil sent me some tobacco labeled "Bob's Chocolate" for my pipe. It had a rich sweet smell in the bag and when I lit the pipe it was a nice rich smoke with a bit of Nestle chocolate taste. It paired up well with a partial bottle of Weller 12yo that I had open. The caramel of the bourbon and the chocolate of the smoke was down right addicting. I smoked all of this particular tobacco in a week, not wanting anything else. It really is a good combination. I will have to get him to send me some more next winter. Phil, how much will a couple of ounces of that fine tobacco run me?

I am alternating now between a couple of others he sent me. One is called Navy Flake and is a rich dark tabacco while the other is McClellans #5100. Both are very good tobaccos that work well with bourbon.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:21 pm

Mike, is any pipe tobacco today flavoured with Bourbon?

If there isn't, why couldn't you make your own? Could you sprinkle Bourbon on pipe tobacco and let it dry and absorb? I have heard of rum-flavoured tobacco, for example.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby daisy3d » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:39 pm

Mike,

You are so gracious! It's all I could do to thank you for all the good times you've showed Jen and I.

Anyone who is interested can get the tobacco's that I sent Mike at http://www.tobaccodirect.com Ask for Linda, she is a friend of mine that owns the site.

Bob's Chocolate is made by an English company called Gawith Hoggarth. They make Aromatics the old way with oils. You can get it here, it's not cheap, but worth it:

http://www.tobaccodirect.com/smarthtml/ ... bacco.html

The next, 5100 and Navy Flake are bulk tobacco's from a company our of Kansas City called McClelland. Everything is blended in the US. Not sure if she uses any non-US grown tobacco's, but they are my favorite tobacco people. Another lady runs the company called Mary McClelland and she's great. 5100 is my favorite! 2035 is the Navy Flake. Here's the link:

http://www.tobaccodirect.com/smarthtml/ ... dvaor.html

If you're interested in my services: http://www.mpipes.bigstep.com

Enjoy and thanks again for the Willet Rye Mike!!!! ;)

Phil & Jen
Brooklyn, MI
Phil D.
Brooklyn, MI
daisy3d

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:39 am

Is there any reason one could not age pipe tobacco in used bourbon cooperage?
bunghole

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:47 am

Wasn't "Borkum Riff" bourbon flavored??
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:52 am

Actually the tobacco shop I patronize has a bourbon flavored tobacco. It is preety tastey but not my favorite so I don't get it very often. Agood pipe tobacco goes well with bourbon. This tobacco, Bob's Chocolate, does very well with a rich caramel wheater. I am going to have to get some more and try it with Old Grand Dad 114 - something with caramel and citrus fruit, which just sounds good with nestle chocolate.

Thanks again Phil for a wonderful tobacco.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby daisy3d » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:57 pm

Stay away from the B. Riff. Once you've had fine tobaccos, like Bourbon, you won't go back.

Thinking about the tobacco in a barrel, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I bet what would be good is to take some staves and use it to press cakes of tobacco with. Now the question would be to which variety of tobacco to press.....

Anyway, nothing like fine tobacco and bourbon!!!!

Cheers, Phil
Phil D.
Brooklyn, MI
daisy3d

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:31 pm

Borkum Riff in your pipe after smoking some of these nice tobacco's would be like smoking a Dutch Master's after smoking a good Punch Madero. It is a big letdown.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby ACDetroit » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:48 pm

I do not know if you can still find it but "Johnothan B. Hayes" made Bourbon soaked leaf chewing tobacco when I was a kid. they also make pipe tobacco. Not sure if there still around but the chew was tastey!!!
Tony Curtis

“So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey.”
W.C. Fields
ACDetroit

Re: Damn, thats a good combination!

Unread postby St.Ommelul » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:43 am

The best whiskey-cigar combination if you ask me is Sazerac with a real Cuban Havanna.
St.Ommelul

Return to The Humidor