The night I lost my innocence

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

The night I lost my innocence

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:14 pm

Last night I treated myself with a generous pour of Saz 02. I had hoped to do some tasting notes for the review section, but it seamed my taste buds where not up to the challenge. Now I really enjoyed that Saz, but for some reason I really wasn’t able to discern enough to justify a posting in the review section. To be honest I was a bit disappointed, and I’m sure some of you will think why I even bother posting this – well here comes:
All of a sudden I remembered that this was the bottle that won me over, some 8 months ago. I admit at the time I had no clue about bourbon or rye and I’m still a novice.
I had tried Booker’s some 1½ year ago but at the time I wasn’t ready for what it had to offer. Then some 8 months ago, the same friend and I where preparing an Islay tasting. One night we got together and somehow managed to taste 15 or 16 different Islay’s including some of the heaviest of them all – that’s still one of my greatest whisky experiences. :bounce:
As you might realize by the end of the night I had had my share for the day. :drunken: I’m about to leave when he pulls out a bottle of Saz. That I think is the one moment in my life when I thought: Oh no, no more for me. :drink: Somehow he convinced me to give it a go. Boy oh boy. After 15 of the most powerful Hooligans, this whiskey still rocked my cradle.
I was hooked – my life has never been the same
Thank you almighty Whiskey-Gods. :notworthy:
Your humble servant
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby Dave » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:30 pm

I hear ya! Trying a Saz after "15 or 16" Islays would be a dessert treat for anyone's taste buds. I never mix my Scotch tastings with my Bourbons (or ryes) for if I did, I would have no excuse to finish off my Scotch (I haven't bought a bottle in two years and I still have about 30 in my bunker). :)

There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some are just better than others.
Dave

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:41 pm

I have to admit that I haven't bought a single bottle of Scotch since. I bought a bottle of Yoichi 20YO though. But there are still several Scotch that I really enjoy. :tonqe:
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby Chris » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:35 pm

I actually bought some scotch 'grain whiskey' after whiskeyfest New York. It was recommended by Brett from Binnys.. It was pretty good.. I bought a bottle but didn't open it yet.. It would be nice to have an idea what grain or grains were used..
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:36 pm

Being Born and raised in Kentucky I have always had bourbon. In my younger days it was usually what ever was cheap so we could party. Later if we wanted something better it would be Maker's Mark (late 70's to early 80's when the brand deserved its reputation). We would take Jack Daniel's on fishing trips (it always tasted better out in the woods by a fire). The one bourbon that really made me take notice was after I started work at United Distillers part time while still in school and the was Old Fitzgerald 1849. That bourbon showed me that bourbon can be great at a reasonable price. After that I started work there full time and was exposed to a great variety of bourbons as we tasted U.D. brands against the competition.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Mark » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:40 pm

Chris wrote:I actually bought some scotch 'grain whiskey' after whiskeyfest New York. It was recommended by Brett from Binnys.. It was pretty good.. I bought a bottle but didn't open it yet.. It would be nice to have an idea what grain or grains were used..

Yeah, that stuff wasn't bad and didn't taste like scotch so it was interesting Chris. Be sure to save me a glass of that for when I see you again. :wink:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Dave » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:58 pm

So what was the brand?
Dave

Unread postby Mark » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:04 pm

Dave wrote:So what was the brand?

The following is off the stuff they gave out at their booth:

Scott's Selection

North of Scotland 1964
Natural cask strength
Rare single Highland Grain
(Tillibody)
Distilled 1964 - Bottled in 2003
43.2% slc/vol undiluted

Aged in port wood. Similar to the north of scotland 1963 in many respects - although the port wood aging makes the 1964 light-bodied yet sweet and creamy.

Pretty pricey though Dave, like $110-120 a bottle I think.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Chris » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:44 pm

We had the 1963 one, not the 1964 one... Supposedly the aging in port wood made it less bourbon-like...
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mark » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:51 pm

See, good thing you pay attention... and that you were the sober one :drunken:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Chris » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:54 pm

Someone had to stay sober... We had to get home somehow... We also had some entertainment from a couple of people who drank a little too much... :roll:
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mark » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:03 pm

If there is a next time I guess public transportation will have to be used so there can be no excuses :partyman:

Oh yeah, this guy?! He was beyond wasted, and his friends were leaving him there for dead...
Attachments
44447086725_330_1.jpg
44447086725_330_1.jpg (35.69 KiB) Viewed 12620 times
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Dave » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:42 pm

That's a sad sight. Grown adult you say? oh, sorry, you didn;t say that. Even my 16 and 18 year old sons know better than to behave like that in public. :lol:
Dave

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings