How do you weigh a bourbon / rye ?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

How do you weigh a bourbon / rye ?

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:24 pm

For me evaluating a bourbon / rye really brakes down into 3 parts:

Colour
Nose
Taste

I would say that they roughly account for 1/3 each of my overall evaluation. Sometimes I’ll pass by my liquor cabinet take out a bottle of Stagg or Pappy and just enjoy the deep colour – I don’t even need a sip – and the bottles last longer that way as well. :lol:
Am I a one off? :roll:

Thomas
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:42 pm

For me color is only about 10% of what I look for in a bourbon or rye. I would place about 30% in the nose, 40% in the taste and 20% in the finish. Even so if the nose or finish is really bad, it can destroy my opinion of the product.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:48 pm

bourbonv wrote:Even so if the nose or finish is really bad, it can destroy my opinion of the product.

Mike Veach

I think you're totaly right. However you weigh the different aspects, even one of them being off, can have a big impact.

Thomas
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby Mark » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:38 pm

I agree with you guys but I would change a few percentages... I'd put 10% into color, 25% into the nose, 40% taste, 25% finish. Very similar to Mike's but I just place a bit more on the finish and a bit less on the nose. I'm bad, I can't sit around sniffing it, I just have to drink it! :lol: :wink:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:27 am

I don't really judge on color at all - it is whatever it is and really has no effect on the taste or my enjoyment of the bourbon. I try to discern nose, taste and finish as component parts but don't necessarily judge them as such; I ultimately judge a bourbon by whole, rather than breaking it down into separate weighted components, although I realize this is not the norm of professional tasters or the methodology behind most ratings.
TrueBarrel

Unread postby Chris » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:58 am

Even without making color a part of your 'rating' of the bourbon, color still plays a part sometimes.. For me, i get excited at the look of some bourbons in the glass even before tasting.. For a long time I would get excited when i saw a dark bourbon, but that barrel of BT changed my mind.. lots of taste and light in color..
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:41 pm

Chris wrote:Even without making color a part of your 'rating' of the bourbon, color still plays a part sometimes.. For me, i get excited at the look of some bourbons in the glass even before tasting.. For a long time I would get excited when i saw a dark bourbon, but that barrel of BT changed my mind.. lots of taste and light in color..

I totally agree. In my above post I should have said it has no "negative" effect on my taste or enjoyment of bourbon. All other things (i.e. nose, taste and finish) being equal, I wouldn't rate one bourbon higher solely on color.
TrueBarrel

Return to Bourbon, Straight