Comments on bourbonnais's review of Woodford Reserve Four Gr

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on bourbonnais's review of Woodford Reserve Four Gr

Unread postby forumadmin » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:52 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about bourbonnais's review of Woodford Reserve Four Grain Bourbon;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:52 am

This is an interesting review. I too think the Four Grain is showing potential, but not quite where I would like it to be. There are still some flavors in the Four Grain that I don't particularly care for but this year's version is not as bad as last years version. Maybe age would help get rid of these flavors, but probably not completely.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:10 pm

I'd really like to try this, but no way would I plop down the $100 plus tax on a stranger. I was pleasently surprised to see this in Virginia's ABC stores, but schocked at the extremely high price.
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonnais » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:17 pm

Mike,

I see I had a similar reaction as you about letting the 4 grain breathe a little. Any idea why it benefits from that?

Personally, while I enjoy a great straight-ahead bourbon like any whiskey drinker does and don't think there's a thing wrong with it, I give major points for distilleries trying new things. While I genuinely enjoyed the copper still tang from my first sip of the 4 grain, I did find the nose very doughy and yeasty in a pour from a freshly opened bottle. For me, part of my reaction to this was that I kept trying to find the normal 3 grain smell rather than take it for what it was. That's why I think the 4 grain benefits from consistent exposure.

I did not taste last year's (2005) version, but I do think the aromas could be better integrated than they are in the 2006. On my first nosing this seemed downright disjointed.
bourbonnais

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:58 am

I agree in that I don't find anything particularly offensive (i.e. musty, moldy overly sour, etc.) but there are some qualities that I don't really care for such as the coppery twang. Still I give Brown-Forman full credit for trying something different. I know from experience that they have gotten much better at using those pot stills over the years. I would like to see them try this experiment again now with their improved knowledge. I think they would tone down the coppery twang a bit and maybe the doughy character as well.

Linn,
The next time you are in Kentucky or I am in VBirginia, I will see that you get a few pours of this bourbon. I would be interested in your opinion.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby TNbourbon » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:13 am

Okay, my bottle is down to just above the name on the label -- at least a third of the bottle gone (and I haven't liked it much at all to this point). I'm trying your suggestion, pouring deep and letting it breathe. I like your dough analogy -- though, for me, it's a yeastier variety. But, I'm afraid I'm immune to the infectiousness -- I just can't bring myself to drink it 3 times in a row. I've given it a sincere try, and I just don't like this stuff. So, the rest of my bottle is going to provide opportunities for others to taste it.
TNbourbon

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:33 pm

Tim,
It is quite alright if you don't care for this bourbon. Everybody has their own taste and the world would be very boring if everyone agreed on a single taste. I found that letting it breath helps, but there are still some flavors there that if you don't like them, then you are still not going to like this bourbon. The copper is one of them. I have heard some people who have very well trained palates say they love this product and think it is the best bourbon ever. I don't agree with their taste, but I respect their opinions. To each their own, as they say.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonnais » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:06 am

Tim, can't say I don't see your point. After all, how hard should you have to work to enjoy bourbon? There are some aspects WR needs to integrate better next time. But, there may be other souls out there who, like me, would enjoy this bourbon immensely once they get acclimated to it.
bourbonnais

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion