Maraschino Cherries

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Maraschino Cherries

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:39 am

A volunteer at the Filson is very fond of Manhattans and Old Fashioned. He uses Maraschino Cherries in these drinks. When he buys his cherries he drains the cherry syrup and fills the jar with bourbon so the cherries are soaking in bourbon. He says it makes for a better drink that way because the cherries have a bourbon flavor. Has anyone else tried this?

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Mark » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:53 am

Not only did I try it (and always have some on hand) but I once used Stagg to do it with! I didn't drain out all the juice though; Only about half and then filled the other half with the Stagg. Man o man were those good... I think I drank more Manhattans when I that than ever before. And what's nice about mixing the stagg with the juice is that as the cherries got lower I would spoon out a bit of the juice and throe that in the shaker as well. Still made a fantastic Manhattan.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:44 pm

That is what Bill said. He is contemplating buying a big jar and adding bourbon and vermouth to the cherries. He likes his manhattans with very little vermouth and he would simply replace the vermouth portion of the drink with the sauce from the cherries.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:16 pm

I've been experimenting with Manhattans for a couple of months, without much success -- too sweet. So, a la these posts, I just emptied half the cherry juice remaining and refilled the jar with a 50-50 concoction of bourbon-sweet vermouth. My next Manhattan with be a pour of bourbon with a cherry and a splash of bitters.
We'll see.
Last edited by TNbourbon on Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNbourbon

Unread postby Mark » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:59 pm

Hope this turns out a bit better tha your past experiences Tim. All this Manhattan talk has now gotten me in the mood for one! :drink:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:36 pm

I had been trying to figure out how to get rid of the remains of a bottle of Jack Daniels Black Label. Mark gave me this very idea! I too poured out about half of the cherry juice, then poured in a bunch of Jack. The resulting Manhattans were pretty good!

The remains of the Jack went to soaking wood chips for my BBQ. That too worked out pretty good. I guess the same fate awaits the Canandian Club that's been sitting in the house for about 10 years. :roll:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:57 pm

Brewer wrote:I had been trying to figure out how to get rid of the remains of a bottle of Jack Daniels Black Label. Mark gave me this very idea! I too poured out about half of the cherry juice, then poured in a bunch of Jack. The resulting Manhattans were pretty good!

The remains of the Jack went to soaking wood chips for my BBQ. That too worked out pretty good. I guess the same fate awaits the Canandian Club that's been sitting in the house for about 10 years. :roll:

Bob,

Canadian whiskey is great for cleaning the old crapper! Cheaper than many high tech cleaners. Mr. Clean's got nothing on Canadian Club!

:arrow: ima :pottytrain5:
bunghole

Unread postby parshooter » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:47 pm

My wife drinks Manhattans. We have some Maker's Mark cherries. She says they make for good Manhattans.
parshooter

Unread postby jvanwinkle » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:04 pm

To make a good cocktail, you need good ingredients. That includes the vermouth. If you all can find it, buy Vya vermouth, sweet for manahattans or dry for martinis. You can actually drink the sweet on the rocks.
It is made at the Quady Winery in California. Made with the finest botanicals. It will change you life! It's so much better than Martini & Rossi or Noilly Prat.
I was introduced to it in London.
jvanwinkle

Unread postby doubleblank » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:40 pm

Andrew Quady is a chemical engineer (who formerly made specialty weapons for the US) who has been making great dessert wines for over 20 years. It doesn't surprise me he makes a great vermouth too. I'll look for it soon.

Randy
doubleblank

Return to Bourbon, Straight