Comments on TNbourbon's review of William Larue Weller 2006

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on TNbourbon's review of William Larue Weller 2006

Unread postby forumadmin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:48 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about TNbourbon's review of William Larue Weller 2006;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mike » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:48 pm

Excellent reviews TN.........I always enjoy your reviews and put a lot of store in them!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby shaggy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:55 pm

This year's WLW Antique is the last of the Stitzel-Weller stock and boy is good stuff! Great review Tim. Right on target!
"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." -Mark Twain
shaggy

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Actually this is not Stitzel-Weller whiskey - that distillery closed in 1992, 14 years ago, not 12 years ago. I have tasted this year's version at the Bistro and frankly was not impressed. It had the tell-tale thinness of a Bernheim distillation and the higher proof seemed to lead to less flavor than expected. It was a decent drink of whiskey but that can be said about a lot of bottles of whiskey. I was expecting something more special. Maybe it was just their bottle and I will try it again, but I suspect that I will come to the same conclussion.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby TNbourbon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:17 pm

bourbonv wrote:Actually this is not Stitzel-Weller whiskey - that distillery closed in 1992, 14 years ago, not 12 years ago...

Mike, this year's Weller barrel-proof is 15+, and I've heard, second-hand, that Kris Comstock has acknowledged it IS Stitzel-Weller. Admittedly, I have not communicated with him directly about it.
Last edited by TNbourbon on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNbourbon

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:41 pm

If this is Stitzel-Weller whiskey, it is a very disappointing Stitzel-Weller whiskey. It has the thin watery flavor that I always found in Bernheim distilled wheat recipe. I will have to ask Julian what he knows - he keeps a pretty close eye on barrels from Stitzel-Weller.

Thanks for the Information, Tim.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:55 pm

I'll ask Kris Comstock, or whoever is at the BT table, tomorrow night at the Philly Whiskeyfest. I'll keep you posted.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

William Larue Weller Uncut Impresses

Unread postby TennBourbonMan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:55 pm

This is an excellent bourbon. I've had a weekend romance with this sucker and she grows on me with every glass. Wheaters have such a sweet, caramely softness that boosting up the spice and burn via alcohol balances out the whiskey a lot more. I personally don't care if it's Stitzel-Weller or some country boy's barn mash, this is a great pour.

But let me reiterate, a small cube of ice or a few shards of crushed ice - cools down the alcohol a bit, allows you to taste the sweetness on the palate - a good solid whiskey fellas.
TennBourbonMan

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:21 am

JoeBourbon wrote:I'll ask Kris Comstock, or whoever is at the BT table, tomorrow night at the Philly Whiskeyfest. I'll keep you posted.
Joe

According to the guys at BT, the Larue IS the last of the Stitzel-Weller whiskey being stored at BT.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion