Comments on shaggy's review of Thomas H. Handy

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on shaggy's review of Thomas H. Handy

Unread postby forumadmin » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:53 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about shaggy's review of Thomas H. Handy;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:53 am

Shaggy,
Have you tried the Rittenhouse 21? How does it compare to the Handy?
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby shaggy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:46 pm

I tried the Rittenhouse and it is very good whiskey. The Handy tasted older than the Rittenhouse 21 and it is no where close to the same age. The Rittenhouse didn't seem as spicy as the Handy. The cinnamon and allspice of the Handy is incredible. My mouth wasn't left tingling as much. Both had a nice slightly oily mouth-feel and complex finish. The Handy's finish just never gave up, while the Rittenhouse faded. I think this can be attributed to the uncut high proof of the Handy. The price tag on the Rittenhouse is just too much for me. I feel it is way over-priced. It should be in the $50 a bottle range. I would rather drink the $15 bottle Rittenhouse BIB, Baby Saz, or Handy.
"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." -Mark Twain
shaggy

Unread postby Mark » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:52 pm

I'll agree with ya' on the Rittenhouse 21yo. It imo is too pricey for what it is. I found it to also have that oily mouth-feel. I thought at firt it smelled great in the glass, I can still remember it. Then the taste, oily and shot across the tounge. Not bad but nothing really special to remember either. The finish was where it started to come back for me but by then well, I guess its too late. I hope LeNell gets her antiques in soon, it'll be nice to give this new Handy a try!
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion