Comments on gillmang's review of Jack Daniels Silver Select

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on gillmang's review of Jack Daniels Silver Select

Unread postby forumadmin » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:44 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about gillmang's review of Jack Daniels Silver Select;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:44 am

If I may comment on my own review, I think the most distinguishing feature of these single barrel bottlings is their concentrated quality which reinforces the best features of the whiskey while reducing the less attractive qualities.

I think if B-F wanted, it could probably get a specific profile (say black fruit-like and so forth) by combining barrels in a small batch and selling it at 100 proof. As it is we get the authenticity (as far as can be known) of a pre-Prohibition whiskey since a lot of whiskey then was sold from barrelhouses. Barrels would have been tapped as is, not mixed that is although some might have been in backbar decanters.

That way too you would get the "best" wood qualities of a group of barrels.

Anyway the whiskey is very nice as it is. I would say to anyone who wants to try JD in its optimum form: buy the Single Barrel, even if you buy less as a result (few of us buy whiskey regardless of its price, me included).

If you acquire three or four SBs over time and then blend them you may get an excellent result. In the past I used to do this with JD 80 and GJ too (i.e., blend all expressions) but I think now I'll restrict it to the North American single barrel bottlings. I'll keep my Silver Select separate since it is the only one I have and I want Mike to try it when I see him soon.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:25 pm

Gary,
It is ironic but Brown-Forman had plans for a small batch 100 proof Jack Daniel whiskey. They were working on a bottle design (at least that was the last I heard from Chris) when there was such a fuss about them lowering the black label proof. It pissed off the Jack Daniel brand manager so much he canceled the project. Chris said he was livid about some of the things said and decided it would be a cold day in hell before he released a 100 proof product now.

I personally think such thoughts are counter productive. They should have kept on with their plans for a 100 proof Jack and ignored the bullshit some of the people were saying about lowering the proof. I think real whiskey enthusiasts would appreciate a 100 proof Jack Daniel and most likely, they don't drink the Black label anyway.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:31 pm

I agree 100% Mike! What a pity they dropped this plan, maybe it will revive.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion