Comments on gillmang's review of Jack Daniels Single Barrel

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on gillmang's review of Jack Daniels Single Barrel

Unread postby forumadmin » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:12 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about gillmang's review of Jack Daniels Single Barrel;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:12 am

"Frankly, sensational."

It's all that and more!

This is the whiskey that makes all of Kentucky uneasy, and Scots to throw their kilts over their faces!

The Irish are too drunk to know the difference.

All I can tell you is that if ima could afford such an everyday pour ima would happily move to Lynchburg,Tennessee!

And be damned glad to be there!

ima d. bunghole
bunghole

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:15 am

Somehow my review went in twice. I've asked Mark to please remove one of them, I don't think I can from the outside.

I think what this particular JD shows is how superb all JD was at one time and still can be. I believe most JD before the 1970's probably tasted like this.

Certainly, all Single Barrel is very good but some reach a special level.

I think the demands of mass production, the lowering of proofs and filtering practices have made the current 80 proof JD, while certainly a good whiskey, not a great whiskey. The only other thing I can think of is the taste of the 80 proof is designed to come through when the whiskey is mixed with cola or even poured on the rocks since ice can blunt whiskey flavor. I have to allow this possibility. But I would say to those who seek the "true" JD character and wish to drink it neat, seek out the Single Barrel, and you may hit a really good one that will show (in my view) what JD was all about originally.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:36 pm

Gary, an excellent review of JD Single Barrel. It is nice to see you so pleased with a whiskey as you are with this one. It inspired me to go back and pull out my bottle of JDSB and give it another go. As I said in my review, it is a very decent pour, but my assessment of the bottle I have remains the same.

It would be interesting to try the bottle you have, and, maybe I will purchase another in hopes of something sensational. But I have provisionally concluded that the JD profile is just not my favorite. There is somthing in the taste of JD products that is slightly off-putting to me that I don't find in the Dickle products.

I suspect that it just confirms once again that different tastes abound among human beans!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:44 pm

Mike, I can understand what you say. But the SBs really do vary. While the typical JD "aromatic" quality is present in all JD bottlings, in some it dominates to the point of negativity. In some bottlings however the balance is perfect. There is quite a pronounced "wood" taste I find in all JD which I believe comes from the maple charcoal. In balance, again, it is a fine flavor.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:56 pm

bunghole wrote:"Frankly, sensational."

It's all that and more!

This is the whiskey that makes all of Kentucky uneasy, and Scots to throw their kilts over their faces!

The Irish are too drunk to know the difference.

All I can tell you is that if ima could afford such an everyday pour ima would happily move to Lynchburg,Tennessee!

And be damned glad to be there!

ima d. bunghole

What a pleasure to see Mr 'hole' holding forth again. I love this fellow from Virginia with the quick wit and 'mild' opinions!

We miss our 'garlic' when he goes into hiding. It is high time, in my opinion, for a bunghole story!
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:56 pm

Shucks, I got double posted and had to edit this one..........Barleycorn, leave that transmit key alone.............damn dog!!
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:53 pm

Mike wrote:
What a pleasure to see Mr 'hole' holding forth again. I love this fellow from Virginia with the quick wit and 'mild' opinions!

We miss our 'garlic' when he goes into hiding. It is high time, in my opinion, for a bunghole story!

Well Mike I've been toying with an idea for a long short story or a quick novella with the working title "Sleeping With Cornbread". I'd like to try to sell it if I can find a publisher. The only real difficulty is that I have to stop thinking about it and actually start writting. :roll:

With any luck it will become a best seller and either a movie or a mini-series.

Linn
bunghole

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion