Comments on Mike's review of Old Charter 12 year old

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on Mike's review of Old Charter 12 year old

Unread postby forumadmin » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:01 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about Mike's review of Old Charter 12 year old;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Brewer » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:01 am

This is an excellent bourbon, and deserves to have a place on everyones bar. I like it along with its sibling, Proprietor's Reserve. But, after a blind shot out, (challanged by Linn), I couldn't tell the diference. So, for the money, I'd go with the Classic. But, your still not gonna catch me without any PR.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:31 pm

I still remember our first bottle of Classic - picked up in Seattle in 1997. Left a tremendous impression on both of us. It's not available in VA, so we have to ration it, unfortunately. We can get PR by special order, but, frankly, I always thought the 12 yr was a little better. Haven't shot them out blind, though.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby scratchline » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:44 pm

I have to agree with Angelshare on this one. I've been a fan of the older bottles of OC 10, and recently tried Louisville bottles of both the Classic and the Proprietor's Reserve. I far preferred the 12 yr old, nose to finish. The PR was just too simple for the price, not objectionable but not nearly enough going on. I won't be buying another bottle, but the Classic has a permanent place on the roster.

-Mike
"There exist mighty dogs, the dangerous kind who take hold of your heart and do not let go."

-Vicki Hearne
scratchline

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:47 pm

The "Classic 90" is one of my favorites. It is cheaper than the Proprietor's Reserve and with the little extra proof, it has more flavor. The extra year of age does not help make up for the lower proof.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:24 pm

All this talk about The Classic 90 drove me to drink.........some Classic 90, of course.

I am athinkin I might like it even more than my review says I does. This is good, good bourbon y'all..............'Barleycorn! Now you give me that bottle or you gone be in the doghouse tonight'.

Barleycorn likes it too..............he likes it cause its good!!

'Barleycorn!' Gimme that bottle, you flea bag!!'

He is trying to switch the OC Classic 90 with some Basil Hayden's I gave him. He is a sly dog, he is!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion