Comments on Mike's review of Rock Hill Farms

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on Mike's review of Rock Hill Farms

Unread postby forumadmin » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:30 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about Mike's review of Rock Hill Farms;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:30 am

Mike,
Actually you agree with Gary and Mardee in that it is fruity and smooth with no alcohol burn. I also think it is a very fruity bourbon that is well balanced and an excellent drink neat. It goes well with food or a good smoke after dinner.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:37 am

I took that little comment out of the review.........it adds nothing, really. I was just thinking, at the time, that RHF was a better bourbon than they were saying it was!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:46 am

Mike,
I think if you talked to Gary and Mardee they would agree that this bourbon is better than the quote used here. The problem with the tasting notes used for publications is that they usually are short and to the point so they will fit on a neck tag or label. You should have left the quote in the review - they would not have minded.

Rock Hill Farms is one of the collection of Single Barrel products that came out with Blanton's - the other being Hancock's Reserve. They are all excellent products. You will have a hard time finding anyone at Buffalo Trace who will draw that connection since Blanton's is a brand in which Buffalo Trave does not control the marketing. The Japanese firm still controls the marketing and price of Blantons. If Buffalo Trace ever gets that control back, expect a more reasonable price and more publicity at the distillery.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:55 am

Hancock's Reserve.........now there is a bourbon I have yet to try! I fondled the bottle at 'my' liquor store just t'other day. Barleycorn keeps saying, 'Buy that one! Buy that one!' I ain't bought it yet just to spite him. Maybe I will get some and try it when he is on vacation. Claims he is going on a 'Dogs Only' cruise........can you beat that!!!
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:57 am

Mike,
I prefer the Rock Hill Farm but that is mostly because of the higher proof giving it a little more flavor.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:53 pm

bourbonv wrote:Mike,
I prefer the Rock Hill Farm but that is mostly because of the higher proof giving it a little more flavor.

A good reason for me to put off buying HR........cause I ain't got no mo money. Me and Barleycorn was down on the street corner this morning trying to raise some cash. Us all both dancing with me playing the washboard and him playing his humonica (as he calls it) in his red dress and high heel sneakers (all four of 'em.....three red and one orange).

We raised $4.84........'bout what it took in gas to get us there!

Next week we gone try 'preaching' to see can we bring in more 'offerings'!! We got a hind leg up there cause some folks will think a talking dog is a miracle.

As for me, I don't see it as nothing special, cause he tells the same old stories over and over and I know them all by heart!! I don't tell the same story twice........I make up something new each time and sell it for the truth!!
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:52 am

Mike wrote:Hancock's Reserve.........now there is a bourbon I have yet to try! I fondled the bottle at 'my' liquor store just t'other day. Barleycorn keeps saying, 'Buy that one! Buy that one!' I ain't bought it yet just to spite him.

Mike,

I'd highly recommend that you not only "fondle" (that could get you in trouble in some parts of GA, & other parts of these here USA's), but that you listen to Barleycorn and buy one. The 1 downside for me is the price. I think its an excellent product, but I feel its overpriced. Drop it down about $5 or $10 & its a no brainer. If you're going to the festival, you might want to wait till you're in KY to get a more reasonable price that you and Barleycorn could enjoy (& could fondle to your hearts content!)
Bob
Brewer

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion