Comments on bourbonv's review of Jack Daniels Black Label #7

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on bourbonv's review of Jack Daniels Black Label #7

Unread postby forumadmin » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:19 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about bourbonv's review of <a>Jack Daniels Black Label Old No 7[/dbbottling];.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:19 am

I have to wonder if the lack of the fusel oil smell has something to do with the original recipe. Maybe if Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 was distilled differently to remove more of those fusel oils. I know that this product was put into the barrel at a lower barrel proof since the legal maximum in the 60's was 110 and the barrel proof for Jack daniel's is higher than that figure. I am going to start looking for some more old miniature bottles of Old No. 7 to see what they taste like. There are a lot of miniature collectores out there, so I should be able to find one.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:05 am

Gary,
I saw your post on this product when I made my comments and was going to answer when a patron came in and I was interupted. The post has since disappeared so I assume you removed it when you saw this comment. In answer to your earlier comment, yes I do think the flavor profile changed. I think Jack became a victim of its own success. What I had Saturday was pretty good with some nice flavors, but still had a bit of the famous "burn" in the back of the throat, but it was moderated by other flavors. As it became more popular and they bottled more and made it quicker with less age and higher barrel proof it took on a more unpolished flavor that we know today.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mark » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:08 am

Sorry Mike and Gary, that was me who deleted the post. I wrote Gary a pm but I guess he didn't get it in time. I saw the post was made not using the comment field so i figured he can make it again using the comment field so the original post has a link bakc to the bottling being discussed. I sent him a paste of what he had written though so he can just paste it back up :lol: Sorry for the confusion gents!
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion