Seeking info on Old Underwood Baltimore Pure Rye

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Seeking info on Old Underwood Baltimore Pure Rye

Unread postby WDOR » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:15 pm

I have a beautiful clear glass bottle with white "glazed" text: Old Underwood Baltimore Pure Rye (see attached picture). I originally got it in southeast Wisconsin in the 1960s. I'm looking for any info on the distiller. Thanks.
Attachments
Dcp_0729RyeBlue2.jpg
Old Underwood Rye
Dcp_0729RyeBlue2.jpg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
WDOR

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:14 am

What you have here is a bar decanter. This was sold to a bar or tavern along with a barrel of whiskey in the 19th century. The whiskey could then be decanted into the bottle to be served to customers. When it was empty, it would be refilled from the barrel.

I will have to do some research on the company when I get home, so I will let you know what I find later.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby EllenJ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:29 pm

For what it's worth, I've gone through all my Maryland Rye sources (well, the printed ones; I didn't ask Howie or Chris or DGonano). The terms "Baltimore Rye" and "Maryland Rye" were used commonly, along with the ubiquitous "Pure", prior to 1906, and I've found references to brands such as Solace Baltimore Rye, Carvel Baltimore Rye, Mallard Baltimore Rye, Gordon Baltimore Rye, and Hunter Baltimore Rye (the only one to return after repeal), but nothing about an Old Underwood.

That's a gorgeous back bar decanter. What size is it?
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Decanter Size

Unread postby WDOR » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:18 pm

The decanter is 11 1/4" (280mm) tall and 3 1/5" (88mm) in diameter. The bottom is flat, but there are clear concentric "flow" rings on it. (Sorry for the long delay in checking back in.)
WDOR

Re: Seeking info on Old Underwood Baltimore Pure Rye

Unread postby Elin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:04 am

Where from you get this glass botel dude it is too old. My grand father told me that this
type of glass of botel with Old Underwood Baltimore Pure Rye printed had been available
50 years ago.
Elin

Re: Seeking info on Old Underwood Baltimore Pure Rye

Unread postby PaulO » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:07 am

You may want to check the pre pro web site (I can't remember the url). This site is about collecting old shot glasses and so on. They have info on old brands. Some of the older shot glasses have similar white writing as your bottle.
PaulO

Return to Collector's Corner