Comments on bunghole's review of Old Charter 12 year old

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on bunghole's review of Old Charter 12 year old

Unread postby forumadmin » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:12 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about bunghole's review of Old Charter 12 year old;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:12 pm

Chris and Mark have created a Monster! I love this way of commenting on reviews and this is a very good review to comment on. There are six different reviews of the same whiskey and every one shows a little difference of style. Linn has done a masterful job here with his review. Very descriptive and entertaining. What we need here now is a review from Mike and Barleycorn.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby jburlowski » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:36 pm

I like this pour alot... not as much as the 13 Y.O. PR expression but , all in all, a delightful pour.
John B.
jburlowski

Unread postby Mike » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:04 pm

bourbonv wrote:Chris and Mark have created a Monster! I love this way of commenting on reviews and this is a very good review to comment on. There are six different reviews of the same whiskey and every one shows a little difference of style. Linn has done a masterful job here with his review. Very descriptive and entertaining. What we need here now is a review from Mike and Barleycorn.

I have tried to get some of the OC 12 YO in a 750 ml bottle, but I have only seen it hereabouts in 1.75 L bottles.........too much to buy at once. 'My' liquor store says he is unable to get it in 750 ml for some reason. Maybe I will be able to pick some up in KY.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:24 pm

Mike,
I am sure you can get a 750ml here in Louisville. After tasting it though, you may go back for the 1.75l!
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Geekboy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:01 pm

I notice in TNBourbon's review of this Old Charter he says you can't get this anymore.

There is an unlimited supply of it (Classic 90) here in Louisiana. All the liquor stores I go to in town here have plentiful stocked shelves of it!
Geekboy

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:28 am

What Tim is refering to is the Old Charter Distilled at Bernheim before the distillery was rebuit in the 1990's. That is the whiskey he is tasting and reviewing. Old Charter is still available in stores, but it is now made by Buffalo Trace.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:34 pm

bourbonv wrote: There are six different reviews of the same whiskey and every one shows a little difference of style. Linn has done a masterful job here with his review. Very descriptive and entertaining. What we need here now is a review from Mike and Barleycorn.

Thank you for your kind words, Professor Veach. I'm one that can't be bothered to write if I can't be at least somewhat entertaining, and I do strive to be accurate in my tasting notes.

Geekboy - If you have liquor store shelves full of the Classic 90 then you are indeed one lucky geek!

Mike B. - 1.75L too much?! Hell! "Ain't no such thing as too much good whiskey!" - (Mark Twain) I'd like a boxcar load myself.

If I were drinking anything new and/or exciting I'd write a review, but I'm not.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:57 am

Linn,
You are quite welcome. I just gave credit where credit is due. It is a vary informative and descriptive review, well written and entertaining. You have talent and I appreciate it.

Old Charter 12yo is a very good bourbon and a good value. It is a high corn mash bill, with over 80% corn. This means there is not much spicey rye flavor or nutty malt flavor. It makes for a very nice manhattan cocktail if you like them on the sweet side.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Oregone » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:25 pm

This is one of my favorite bourbons, and a true bargain. Unfortunately, it doesn't show up in Oregon these days. Damn. The 10 y.o. is perfectly acceptable, and the Proprietor's Reserve is wonderful, wonderful. Just wish I could get the 12 y.o.; I'd have it on the shelf all the time.
Oregone

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion