1 Gallon bottle of Old Grand Dad Whiskey

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

1 Gallon bottle of Old Grand Dad Whiskey

Unread postby madj42 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:08 am

I just came in contact with a older bottle of whiskey and I don't know how old it is. I've read the sticky and I found that its either 1981 or newer. It may be older but I don't know. It has ONE GALLON etched towards the bottom of the front of the bottle. Yes it is a one gallon bottle. It does not have a bar code nor a government warning. It came in a replica rocking chair type holder. It does have a IRS tax sticker on the top of the bottle. Does anyone know anything about the one gallon bottles of Old Grand Dad whiskey?
madj42

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:21 am

Actually if it has One Gallon on it, the bottle is older than 1981. I would guess that it is from the 1970's. In the 1970's the regulations of many states losened up a bit and more states allowed the sale of whiskey in gallon bottles, thus the distillers started to bottle gallon bottles. Most of the gallon bottles usually came with a version of the "swing cradle" for easy handling of the pours. If the bottle is full, it has some fine Old Grand Dad bourbon in it. I would recommend drinkinking it. You will enjoy its complex, fruity and sweet flavor.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Collector's Corner