Bowmore Darkest Islay Sherry Cask Scotch

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Bowmore Darkest Islay Sherry Cask Scotch

Unread postby Mike » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:10 am

I posted about this Scotch in a Bourbon forum when a friend and I compared it to some top shelf bourbons. I thought that since I look upon it with such favor, I would post some tasting notes.

Because it is an Islay Scotch one expects a bit more of the smokey, peaty, seaside aromas and taste...............and they are there. But I also found a set of nicely complex aromas that were very satisfying in their own right.

The sherry was very prominent and gave the aroma a subtle fruitiness and sweetness. I also picked up vanilla and caramel from the wood. Not to be missed either were the citrus aromas and a smidge of clover...... and even leather. Something akin to the warmth of rye was lurking about in there too.

The taste was as good as the nose. the rich complex set of flavors promised in the nose emerged as the beautiful liquid spread across the mouth.

The finish was moderately long and deep, maintaining the complexity to the last. A very satisfying whisky to be sure.

I am not a very knowledgeable Scotch drinker, although I have been drinking Scotch for quite a few years and have had a fair sampling of excellent drams. This was my first experience with Bowmore. I've been meaning to get to it for a long time. But Bourbon got in the way until I bought this bottle for an Islay Scotch loving friend who, like me, is unwilling to pay $90 or more for a bottle of Lagavulin when not long ago it could be had for $50. The Bowmore Darkest Islay sells for under $50 and, if you like Scotch, is a bargain in my opinion.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:33 pm

I went back to the Bowmore Darkest Islay today for the first time in a long time. It is still as I described it, rich and flavorful in the Scotch way.

I decided to compare it against a bourbon to which I have only been slightly complementery in the past, Woodford Reserve. (See 'An interesting experience' posting in the Bourbon Straight Forum, page 7, for an good discussion on comparing Bourbon and Scotch)

The Woodford has a much stonger oak presence, but vis-a-vis the Bowmore, it is quite impressive.

Bowmore definitely has that seaside aroma and taste which the Islay Scotchs are famous (or notorious) for. It really is rich, viscous, complex, pleasing, and tasty (and relatively cheap).

It may be that my love affair with boubon has influenced me too deeply, but the WR more than holds its own against the Bowmore. This comes as a surprise to me, since the Bowmore is one of my favorite Scotchs, and WR has, until now, not been a contender in the bourbon world.

I have always had doubts about my assessment of WR, primarily because I know people with excellent palates who love it. Today it seems to have something I love in a bourbon........'balance' twixt the flavors!

Compared to the Bowmore, Woodford Reserve wins this round ........somehow that makes me happy! But it doesn't mean that I will give up Scotch, it is just too good to put aside!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Scotch Whisky