Brooklyn Brewery's Monster Ale

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

Brooklyn Brewery's Monster Ale

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:31 pm

In addition to the '95 EWSB tasting that I noted elsewhere, Mark and I split a case of the current Monster Ale that was "born in 2004". It is a Big BarleyWine Monster, weighing in at a hefty 11% ABV. But it is not an Evil Monster. In fact, I would say it is one Big Bad Yummy Monster that has lots of full flavor to go along with the relatively high alcohol content. One downside is that its apparently only available in limited quantities in limited areas. If you see it, make friends with this Monster! We also compared it to the 2001 edition. I like both of 'em! :cheers:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mark » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:15 pm

Oh man, this is good stuff! I have had about 4 so far and am loving it more and more with each one. I really wish BB could expand their operations so their brews could reach more customers. With quality like this I am sure it would sell well everywhere!

I have had an 00' and 01' that Bob stored away and was nice enough to share with me and this stuff gets better and better with time!
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mike » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:51 pm

As I said in another post, I have had Monster Ale on tap...............and today I found some at 'my' liquor store. It is 2004 vintage, so I look forward to trying it.

Brewer and Mark, I will send you a package of 'jams' and 'jellies' that contains 2 Terrapin Rye Ales, 2 Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stouts (both from Terrapin Brewery out of Athens GA), and 2 Celebration Ale homebrews. Which ever of you sends me your address that is where it will go. I had Brewer's address but loss it, sorry!!

I have not tried the CA since I bottled it. It will be in the bottle a month as of this Friday, the bare minimum it needs. We had a little trouble in xferring it from secondary fermentation to the bottling bucket, so I am hoping we did it no harm. If it does turn out badly all I can say is.................well, SHIT!!!!!!!!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Mark » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:14 pm

I'll let it go to Bob's first Mike so he can get first shot at trying those brews until I see him. I'm sure he'll see this soon enough and resend his addy, I don't even remember it off hand...

I'm sure it'll turn out great and I would love to try your homebrew. Bob did one some time ago that he let me try and man was it good. Dark and hoppy, really nice on that chilly fall day when we had it. I'll get with Bob and we'll send you out a package as well with some local stuff in it. Some Brooklyn Brewery of course and unless he has something else, maybe a thing or two from Blue point brewery out of LI about an hour past where Bob lives. They make a hoptical illusion that is very good :drink:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:33 pm

Hey Mike,

I sure do like "jams" & "jellies". Yum, yum! As a matter of fact, I'm enjoying a Hoptical Illusion right now, and I think that might be some NY "apple cider" that we should send to you Mike. As Mark said, I'm sure your CA will be fine. Especially if it seemed to smell & look OK during the fermentation process.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mike » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:38 pm

Just had me some Monster Ale and a salami sammich. Was it good? You gotta be shittin me!!!!!!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to What Ales You